Surface Gravity vs. Gravitational Field Strength: What's the Difference?

In summary, surface gravity is the gravitational field strength at the surface of the Earth, measured in N/kg. It is a special case of gravitational field strength (g.f.s), which is the force a body exerts on a unit mass at a distance, measured in N/kg. The SI unit of force is Newtons (N) and the SI unit of mass is kilograms (kg). G.f.s can also be measured in m/s^2, which is the same as acceleration. Surface gravity (g) and g.f.s have the same units because surface gravity is a special case of g.f.s. G.f.s is not necessarily the strength of gravity when not in contact with the Earth, as it can also refer to the strength
Cliff Hanley
1. Is 'surface gravity' the same as 'gravitational field strength'?

2. It seems to me that the 'g' in the formula w = mg sometimes refers to acceleration due to gravity (measured in m/s^2) and sometimes refers to something else that I've not quite grasped yet (measured in N/kg) ; what is the something else? And do the values of each always match exactly, ie, acceleration due to gravity near the surface of the Earth is 9.8 m / s ^2 and the magnitude of the 'something else' is 9.8 N/kg (likewise for on or near the Moon; 1.6 m/s^2 and 1.6 N/kg).

Physics news on Phys.org
Cliff Hanley said:
sometimes refers to something else that I've not quite grasped yet (measured in N/kg
Ok.Let me help you.What is the SI unit of force?What is SI unit of mass?

Likes Cliff Hanley
gracy said:
Ok.Let me help you.What is the SI unit of force?What is SI unit of mass?
Thanks. The SI unit of force is Newtons (N). The SI unit of mass is kilograms (kg).

Cliff Hanley said:
Is 'surface gravity' the same as 'gravitational field strength'?
No , it isn't . The first is gravitational field strength at the surface of the Earth .

The second is a general term , that refers to the force a body exerts on a unit mass , kept at some distance , say d .

If mass of that body is M , then it's gravitational field strength at a distance d would be -
GM / d2 .

Hope this helps .

Likes Cliff Hanley
I think you have got it !but anyways
what is Force /mass ?

Likes Cliff Hanley
Qwertywerty said:
No , it isn't . The first is gravitational field strength at the surface of the Earth .

The second is a general term , that refers to the force a body exerts on a unit mass , kept at some distance , say d .

If mass of that body is M , then it's gravitational field strength at a distance d would be -
GM / d2 .

Hope this helps .
Thanks. Is surface gravity therefore the strength of gravity on an object when *in contact* with the Earth? Is that the phenomenon that's measured in N/kg? And is g.f.s therefore the strength of gravity not *in contact* with the Earth, but some distance from it?

gracy said:
I think you have got it !but anyways
what is Force /mass ?
F/m is..? Well, I know that F=ma (Newton's 2nd law of motion), so F/m=a, yes?

Cliff Hanley said:
yes?
Right ! so N/kg comes out to be acceleration .Acceleration has another unit i.e m/s^2.N/Kg and m/s^2 is one and the same thing.

Likes Cliff Hanley
Cliff Hanley said:
Thanks. Is surface gravity therefore the strength of gravity on an object when *in contact* with the Earth? Is that the phenomenon that's measured in N/kg?
Well , I'd rather say it was the g.f.s close to , or on the surface of the Earth . G.f.s is measured in N/kg , and as surface gravity is a special case of g.f.s , it has the same units ( Surface gravity is g ) .
Cliff Hanley said:
And is g.f.s therefore the strength of gravity not *in contact* with the Earth, but some distance from it?
Not necessarily . I've answered this in the previous part of this post .

Likes Cliff Hanley

1. What is gravity?

Gravity is a natural phenomenon by which all objects with mass are brought towards each other. It is the force that holds planets in orbit around the sun and causes objects to fall towards the ground.

2. How does gravity work?

Gravity is caused by the curvature of space and time, which is created by the presence of mass and energy. This curvature causes objects to move towards each other, creating the force of gravity.

3. What is the relationship between mass and gravity?

The greater the mass of an object, the greater its gravitational force. This means that larger objects have a stronger pull of gravity compared to smaller objects.

4. Does gravity exist everywhere in the universe?

Yes, gravity is a fundamental force that exists everywhere in the universe. However, its strength can vary depending on the masses and distances of objects in a particular location.

5. How does gravity affect time and space?

Gravity can cause the fabric of space-time to warp, which can affect the passage of time. This is known as gravitational time dilation, and it has been observed in experiments and confirmed by Einstein's theory of general relativity.