Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Surgeries in Full Moon and New Moon

1. Jul 11, 2010 #1
    Surgeries in Full Moon and New Moon!!

Hey Everybody, this is a Question that has been on my mind for so many years, i have a lot....a LOT of Friends whom are doctors (medics), surgeons specifically, and they dont know the other ones...i mean, i`ve known them through my nomadic living in several states....so the point is that Surgeons say that they Hate to Perform surgeries when there is Full moon or New moon....in fact....Scheduled Surgeries they select them through out the mont except FM and NM.....but they hate when they have Guard or On call duty, those days....Cause they say that Patients tend to Bleed more, and Blood is more uncontrollable.....like blood behaving much like Ocean Tides in Those days also!!.....i have ask them if there are studies about that, and they say that why bother in doing a study, when they can see always when an Emergency Happens on a full moon, that the surgerie gets more complicated and bloody.....

What do you Think!!!.....Could Blood behave just like tides!!.....

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 11, 2010 #2

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Re: Surgeries in Full Moon and New Moon!!

Surgeons and doctors are not necessarily critical thinkers. If it's true, a study would just confirm it, don't you think?

4. Jul 11, 2010 #3

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

http://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/news/20090923/full-moon-fails-foil-surgery

5. Jul 12, 2010 #4

A full moon is a moon without any of the Earth's shadow covering it. How would a shadow 240 thousand miles away have any effect on anything here on Earth? Would a shadow on Mars do something to us? What about a shadow on Pluto?
    If I turn off the lights, I'll be covered in shadow. It's not 240 thousand miles away, it's actually touching me, yet it has no effect.

6. Jul 12, 2010 #5

turbo

Gold Member

No. The full moon is at opposition with respect to the Sun. The only time the Earth's shadow falls on the Moon is during a lunar eclipse. While I discount the theory of excessive bleeding, the "thinking" behind it is that gravitational effects are multiplied when the Earth, Moon, and Sun are lined up. Nothing to do with shadows.

7. Jul 12, 2010 #6

Thanks. I assumed I knew what caused the shadow on the moon. What a stupid thing to assume.
    I also assumed I knew why they thought their quack idea worked and I didn't know that either.
    Undeterred, I'll still be on the lookout for people who are dumber than I am.

8. Jul 12, 2010 #7

Don't mess with anything on a full moon and a new moon. Don't even go in the woods. Nothing good ever happens on those two days.

9. Jul 12, 2010 #8

turbo

Gold Member

How valuable is that insight! Perhaps we can extend the bans to days when the sun is in X house of the zodiac, too. Can't be too sure.

10. Jul 15, 2010 #9

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Kinda reminds me of spooky clocks during solar eclipses.

11. Jul 15, 2010 #10

CEL

Oceans have tides because the Earth is so huge. The side of the planet that faces the moon is nearer to the satellite than the opposite side, so the gravity of the moon attracts each side differently.
    This makes two forces with opposing directions. The Earth bulges in the direction of the Moon and in the opposite direction. The ocean, being fluid, has a greater bulge than the rocks.
    A tiny human body makes no difference in the attraction of the Moon. The surgeon, that performs the operation, causes mere tide in the patient than the Moon.

12. Jul 15, 2010 #11

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Nice link, Ivan. I especially like this part:

I think it's true that more strange stuff happens on nights around a full moon, but that's mainly because the extra light helps to encourage more outdoor night-time activity. And unless you're a ninja warrior with night vision goggles, I don't think a new moon will attract much extra activity.

13. Jul 21, 2010 #12

Yeah, that's me. So watch out! We call very weird or strange people 'Loonies'. The word Loony was derived out of Luna, the name of our moon. Just an interesting idea. Do you suppose that if the effects are not negligible, they are at least minimal? In other words, is there any possibility that the moon's gravitational pull affects blood loss during surgery? In any regard?

14. Jul 22, 2010 #13

CEL

Read my previous post!

15. Jul 24, 2010 #14

Typical of a bunch of male chauvinists - nobody's mentioned menstruation.

That happens every 4 weeks to coincide with the moon's phases...

16. Jul 24, 2010 #15

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

My thought, too. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McClintock_effect" [Broken] that when women spend time in close proximity to other women, their cycles may synchronize. I'm not sure though that surgical teams would spend enough time together for that to happen, though. That would be a very interesting study!

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  17. Jul 24, 2010 #16

CEL

How many women do you know that have an exactly 29.5 days cycle?

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  18. Jul 24, 2010 #17

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, that's also my main criticism of the analysis that I linked to. Also, all kinds of things can influence menstrual cycles - illness or stress, for example. It's reasonable to assume that the women who are living in the same conditions could experience these same disruptions. Perhaps that's what's causing the cycles to appear to synchronize.

The theory is controversial, but having experienced it myself, I can't dismiss it completely.

19. Jul 24, 2010 #18

Evo

What, exactly, would a tide in the body do? Not that the moon could cause one. Blood pooling in the feet? In the head? What if you moon the moon, would the blood pool in your butt? Who makes this nonsense up?

20. Jul 24, 2010 #19

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, it would explain some things. Like, why is it sometimes I'm not hungry, even though I haven't eaten much? Maybe I haven't lost my appetite - I'm just at high tide.

21. Jul 24, 2010 #20

Evo

:rofl:

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook