Surjectivity of induced map via hom functor implies injectivity

In summary, we discuss the problem of showing that if the induced map i^* is surjective for every R-module M, then i: B' \to B is injective. After considering different approaches and ideas, it is suggested to take M = B' and use the identity morphism in Hom(B',B'). This leads to the conclusion that i is indeed injective.
Kreizhn

Homework Statement

Let R be an arbitrary ring, B and B' be left R-modules, and [itex] i: B' \to B [/itex] be an R-module morphism. Show that if the induced map [itex] i^*: \operatorname{Hom}_R(B,M) \to \operatorname{Hom}(B',M) [/itex] is surjective for every R-module M, then [itex] i: B' \to B [/itex] is injective.

The Attempt at a Solution

The maps all seem to go the wrong way to use the categorical definition of kernels, so I fear that I must be much trickier about the application and exploit the module structure quite specifically. This would suggest an intelligent choice of M and a morphism [itex] B' \to M [/itex] in order to apply the hypothesis.

In my mind, the only obvious candidate is the projection map [itex] \pi: B' \to B'/\ker i [/itex]. The hypothesis would then suggest that there exists [itex] \hat \pi: B \to B'/\ker i [/itex] such that [itex] \hat \pi \circ i = \pi [/itex]. However, nothing useful seems to come of this. Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
What if you take ##M=B^\prime## and take the identity morphism in ##Hom(B^\prime,B^\prime)##?

Ah yes excellent. I figured that out today, and could have saved myself a lot of time if I had just looked here first.

What does the term "surjectivity" mean in this context?

In mathematics, surjectivity refers to a function or map that maps every element in the output set to at least one element in the input set.

What is the induced map via hom functor?

The induced map via hom functor is a mathematical concept that involves mapping objects in one category to objects in another category using the hom functor, which is a functor that maps objects to sets of morphisms.

How does surjectivity of the induced map imply injectivity?

If the induced map via hom functor is surjective, it means that every element in the output set is mapped to at least one element in the input set. This also means that there are no elements in the output set that are left unmapped. Therefore, the induced map must also be injective, as there are no elements in the output set that are mapped to more than one element in the input set.

What is the significance of the surjectivity of the induced map via hom functor?

The surjectivity of the induced map via hom functor is significant because it ensures that the map is well-defined and can be used to establish a one-to-one correspondence between objects in two different categories.

Can the surjectivity of the induced map be used to prove injectivity in other mathematical concepts?

Yes, the concept of surjectivity and its implications for injectivity can be applied in various mathematical contexts, such as group theory and topology, to prove certain properties and theorems.