Surviving a Freefall: Calculating the Impulse on a Paratrooper Landing in Snow

  • Thread starter Thread starter dominus96
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Impulse
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 11K views
dominus96
Messages
51
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



In February 1955, a paratrooper fell 370 m from an airplane without being able to open his chute but happened to land in snow, suffering only minor injuries. Assume that his speed at impact was 60 m/s (terminal speed), that his mass (including gear) was 80 kg, and that the force on him from the snow was at the survivable limit of 1.2*10^5 N.

(a) What is the minimum depth of snow that would have stopped him safely?

(b) What is the magnitude of the impulse on him from the snow?

Homework Equations



delta P = F*t
F=ma?

The Attempt at a Solution



I have no clue, I've never seen a problem like this before...
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Paratrooper's mass and treminal velocity is given. Find his KE when he touches the ground. Finally he stops. Change in KE = Force X Displacement.
 
I found KE, but what does that have to do with impulse? I thought impulse was change in momentum?
 
but KE will tell u what velocity the man lands at the snow
 
mv1 - mv2...is that like P1 - P2? (P stands for momentum)
 
Yes. Now that you have kinetic energy, you have everything you need to solve this.