Susceptibility of a simple metal (Problem 31.6 in Ashcroft's

In summary: The Langevin theory describes the susceptibility as being proportional to the number of electrons in the closed shell, and the square of the radius of the atom. So for a simple metal, the contribution from the conduction electrons is given by the free electron values of the Pauli paramagnetic and Landau diamagnetic susceptibilities, while the contribution from the closed shell core electrons is described by the Langevin theory. When we divide the susceptibility of the closed shell core electrons by the susceptibility of the conduction electrons, we get a factor of -1/3, which is equal to the Landau diamagnetic susceptibility divided by the Pauli paramagnetic susceptibility. So in summary, the ratio of the susceptibility of the
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member

Homework Statement

The susceptibility of a simple metal has a contribution ##\chi_{c.c}## from the conduction electrons and a contribution ##\chi_{ion}## from the diamagnetic response of the closed-shell core electrons.
Taking the conduction electron susceptibility to be given by the free electron values of the Pauli paramagnetic and Landau diamagnetic susceptibilities, show that:

$$ \frac{\chi_{ion}}{\chi_{c.c}} = -\frac{1}{3} \frac{Z_c}{Z_v}\langle (k_F r)^2 \rangle $$

where ##Z_v## is the valence, ##Z_c## is the number of core electrons, and ##<r^2>## is the mean square ionic radius defined in (31.26).

Homework Equations

$$(31.26) <r^2> = \frac{1}{Z_i} \sum <0|r_i^2 |0>$$

$$\chi^{molar} = -Z_i (e^2/(\hbar c))^2 \frac{N_A a_0^3}{6}\langle (r/a_0)^2 \rangle$$

$$\chi_{pauli} = \bigg(\frac{\alpha}{2\pi}\bigg)^2 (a_0k_F)$$

$$\chi_{Landau} = -1/3 \chi_{Pauli}$$

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought that ##\chi_{molar}=\chi_{ion}## and that ##\chi_{c.c} = \chi_{Landau}+\chi_{Pauli} = 2/3 \chi_{Pauli}##.

But when I divide between the two susceptibilities I don't get the right factors, has someone already done this exercise from Ashcroft and Mermin?

I tried searching google for a solution but to a veil.

Physics news on Phys.org
MathematicalPhysicist said:

Homework Statement

The susceptibility of a simple metal has a contribution ##\chi_{c.c}## from the conduction electrons and a contribution ##\chi_{ion}## from the diamagnetic response of the closed-shell core electrons.
Taking the conduction electron susceptibility to be given by the free electron values of the Pauli paramagnetic and Landau diamagnetic susceptibilities, show that:

$$ \frac{\chi_{ion}}{\chi_{c.c}} = -\frac{1}{3} \frac{Z_c}{Z_v}\langle (k_F r)^2 \rangle $$

where ##Z_v## is the valence, ##Z_c## is the number of core electrons, and ##<r^2>## is the mean square ionic radius defined in (31.26).

Homework Equations

$$(31.26) <r^2> = \frac{1}{Z_i} \sum <0|r_i^2 |0>$$

$$\chi^{molar} = -Z_i (e^2/(\hbar c))^2 \frac{N_A a_0^3}{6}\langle (r/a_0)^2 \rangle$$

$$\chi_{pauli} = \bigg(\frac{\alpha}{2\pi}\bigg)^2 (a_0k_F)$$

$$\chi_{Landau} = -1/3 \chi_{Pauli}$$

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought that ##\chi_{molar}=\chi_{ion}## and that ##\chi_{c.c} = \chi_{Landau}+\chi_{Pauli} = 2/3 \chi_{Pauli}##.

But when I divide between the two susceptibilities I don't get the right factors, has someone already done this exercise from Ashcroft and Mermin?

I tried searching google for a solution but to a veil.
I was able to find something in a google search. For the closed shell electrons, this form of diamagnetism is described by the Langevin theory, as opposed to free electron diamagnetism, which is the Landau theory.

What is the definition of susceptibility in a simple metal?

Susceptibility in a simple metal is a measure of its response to an external magnetic field. It is defined as the ratio of the induced magnetization to the applied magnetic field.

How is susceptibility related to the electronic structure of a simple metal?

The electronic structure of a simple metal, specifically the density of states at the Fermi level, is directly related to its susceptibility. A higher density of states at the Fermi level leads to a higher susceptibility.

What factors can affect the susceptibility of a simple metal?

The three main factors that can affect the susceptibility of a simple metal are temperature, impurities, and magnetic ordering. As temperature increases, susceptibility decreases. The presence of impurities can also decrease the susceptibility, while the presence of magnetic ordering can increase it.

How does the susceptibility of a simple metal change with increasing temperature?

The susceptibility of a simple metal decreases with increasing temperature. This is due to the thermal agitation of the metal's electrons, which reduces their ability to align with an external magnetic field.

What is the Curie-Weiss law and how does it relate to susceptibility in a simple metal?

The Curie-Weiss law states that the inverse of susceptibility is directly proportional to the difference between the temperature and a material-specific constant called the Curie-Weiss temperature. In a simple metal, the Curie-Weiss law can be used to describe the temperature dependence of susceptibility.