Susskind's theoretical minimum

In summary, the conversation revolves around questions regarding Susskind's book on the Lagrangian to Hamiltonian section. The first question is about calculating the Hamiltonian of L=1/2ω (d/dt q)^2 - ω/2 q^2, which is given as H=ω/2 ( p^2 + q^2). The second question is about the equation of motion for a harmonic oscillator (d/dt)^2 q = - ω q, which is stated to be the Lagrangian. The expert provides a solution for the first question, stating that the canonical momentum can be calculated using p = dL/d(qp) where qp = d/dt q.
43arcsec
If anyone out there has worked through Susskind's book, I have two questions on the Lagrangian to Hamiltonian section, any help would be greatly appreciated:

1) In Lecture 8 exercise 2, he wants you to calculate take the Lagrangian of

L=1/2ω d/dt q - ω/2 q^2 as a Hamiltonian and says it equals (ω=sqrt(k/m) )

H=ω/2 ( p^2 + q^2)

From what I can tell from his book, the Lagrangian is kinetic energy - potential energy, while the Hamiltonian is kinetic energy plus the potential energy.

I've tried making this work every which way but couldn't come up with it.

Also, on the next page (158) he says the Lagrangian is (d/dt)^2 q = - ω q

This is just the equation of motion for a harmonic oscillator; how does this pass for a Lagragian that is supposed to be the K.E - P.E.?

Sorry if I'm missing something easy, but thanks for taking a look.

-Marc

Physics news on Phys.org
First, I think L is maybe given by:

L=1/2ω (d/dt q)^2 - ω/2 q^2

From there, you can begin to calculate p = dL/d(qp) where qp = d/dt q .
Result follows immediately.

Canonical momentum, of course. Thanks Maajdl, I am in your debt.

1. What is Susskind's theoretical minimum?

Susskind's theoretical minimum is a series of lectures and books by physicist Leonard Susskind that cover the fundamental concepts of modern physics, including quantum mechanics, general relativity, and cosmology.

2. Who is the target audience for Susskind's theoretical minimum?

The target audience for Susskind's theoretical minimum is anyone with a basic understanding of mathematics and an interest in learning about modern physics. It is often used as a resource for students and enthusiasts who want to deepen their knowledge of the subject.

3. What makes Susskind's theoretical minimum different from other physics resources?

Susskind's theoretical minimum is unique in that it presents complex concepts in a conversational and accessible manner, without sacrificing accuracy. It also includes problem sets and exercises to help readers practice and apply what they have learned.

4. Can someone with no background in physics understand Susskind's theoretical minimum?

While a basic understanding of mathematics is recommended, Susskind's theoretical minimum is designed to be accessible to anyone with a curious mind. The lectures and books are structured in a way that builds upon previous concepts, making it possible for someone with no background in physics to learn from it.

5. Is Susskind's theoretical minimum relevant to current research and discoveries in physics?

Yes, Susskind's theoretical minimum covers the foundational concepts of modern physics, which are the basis for ongoing research and discoveries in the field. However, it should be noted that the series was first published in 2013, so it may not include the most recent developments in physics.