1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Switching between subfields of physics

  1. Mar 12, 2012 #1

    I am a sophomore currently doing research in experimental condensed matter physics, and I'm happy with that. However, I have a lingering fascination with general relativity. If I get to graduate school and decide I'd rather work in GR, would I be able to do that?
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 12, 2012 #2
    Yes, completely (assuming the school you go to has GR research, etc, etc).
  4. Mar 12, 2012 #3


    User Avatar

    Nothing you do as an undergrad majoring in physics is going to lock you into a career. You can always switch fields, even after grad school (although the longer you wait, the harder it becomes).
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook