Switching observers in a quantum measurement

In summary, the conversation discusses the state of a system after multiple measurements with unknown eigenvalues. The correct approach is to describe the state as a superposition of all possible eigenstates, rather than using a single state vector. This allows for the calculation of probabilities in each case.
Keru
Homework Statement

observables.png

(c is a constant)

The attempt at a solution

-In the first measure we got a1, so the state of the system would be psi1.
-In the second measure, there's no information about what eigenvalue we got. Would the state of the system still be psi1? Psi1 is written in terms of B eigenvectors, and as we don't know which one we measured, the state should be described as a superposition of both vectors, which is precisely psi1. Is that correct?
-In the third measure, i wrote the "betas" in terms of the "psis", so i have something like:
(A and B being constants, not the observables)
psi1 = A beta1 + B beta2 = C psi1 + D psi2 + E psi 1 + F psi2 = G psi1 + H psi 2

Is it H the coefficient that tells me the probabilities of getting the a2 eigenvalue, or did I do something wrong?

Attachments

• observables.png
    observables.png
    17.3 KB · Views: 739
Physics news on Phys.org
Keru said:
-In the first measure we got a1, so the state of the system would be psi1.
Correct.
Keru said:
-In the second measure, there's no information about what eigenvalue we got. Would the state of the system still be psi1? Psi1 is written in terms of B eigenvectors, and as we don't know which one we measured, the state should be described as a superposition of both vectors, which is precisely psi1. Is that correct?
No. I bolded the part which is wrong. It contradicts the postulate that after a measurement, the system is in an eigenstate of the corresponding observable.

If you perform a measurement and don't have information about the outcome, you can't use a single state vector to describe the situation after the measurement. You need to do a case-by-case analysis in order to calculate the probabilities.

Ok I think i got it. So, for one of the two possible cases it would continue like this?

medidaas.png

Attachments

• medidaas.png
    medidaas.png
    8.3 KB · Views: 304
Yes. I haven't checked the calculations but conceptually, it is correct now.

Likes Keru

1. What is meant by "switching observers" in a quantum measurement?

Switching observers refers to the concept in quantum mechanics where the act of observing or measuring a quantum system can change its state or behavior. This is known as the observer effect and is a fundamental aspect of quantum mechanics.

2. How does switching observers affect the outcome of a quantum measurement?

In quantum mechanics, the outcome of a measurement is determined by the state of the system at the time of observation. When switching observers, the state of the system can change, thus affecting the measurement outcome. This is due to the inherent uncertainty and probabilistic nature of quantum systems.

3. Can switching observers be used to manipulate the outcome of a quantum measurement?

No, switching observers does not allow for manipulation of the outcome of a quantum measurement. The measurement outcome is still determined by the state of the system at the time of observation, and this cannot be controlled or influenced by switching observers.

4. What role do observers play in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, observers play a crucial role in the measurement process. They are responsible for collapsing the wave function of a quantum system, which determines the state and behavior of the system at the time of observation.

5. Are there any practical applications of switching observers in quantum measurements?

While the concept of switching observers is fundamental to quantum mechanics, it does not have any practical applications. In fact, it is often seen as a limitation in the ability to control and manipulate quantum systems for practical use.