Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Sylow subgroup of some factor group

1. Mar 30, 2016 #1
    Hi. I have the following question:

Let [itex]G[/itex] be a finite group. Let [itex]K[/itex] be a subgroup of [itex]G[/itex] and let [itex]N[/itex] be a normal subgroup of [itex]G[/itex]. Let [itex]P[/itex] be a Sylow [itex]p[/itex]-subgroup of [itex]K[/itex]. Is [itex]PN/N[/itex] is a Sylow [itex]p[/itex]-subgroup of [itex]KN/N[/itex]?

Here is what I think.

Since [itex]PN/N \cong P/(P \cap N)[/itex], then [itex]PN/N[/itex] is a [itex]p[/itex]-subgroup of [itex]KN/N[/itex].

Now [itex][KN/N:PN/N]=\frac{|KN|}{|N|} \frac{|N|}{|PN|}= \frac{|KN|}{|PN|}= \frac{|K||N|}{|K \cap N|} \frac{|P \cap N|}{|P||N|} = \frac{|K||P \cap N|}{|P||K \cap N|}=[/itex] [itex][K:P]\frac{|P \cap N|}{|K \cap N|}[/itex]

Since [itex]P[/itex] is a Sylow [itex]p[/itex]-subgroup of [itex]K[/itex], then [itex]p[/itex] does not divide [itex][K:P][/itex]. Also, [itex]p[/itex] does not divide [itex]\frac{|P \cap N|}{|K \cap N|}[/itex] as [itex]\frac{|P \cap N|}{|K \cap N|} \leq 1[/itex] because [itex]P \cap N[/itex] is a subgroup of [itex]K \cap N[/itex]. Therefore [itex]p[/itex] does not divide [itex][KN/N:PN/N][/itex].

Thus [itex]PN/N[/itex] is a Sylow [itex]p[/itex]-subgroup of [itex]KN/N[/itex].

Am I right?

Thanks in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 3, 2016 #2

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Looks broadly OK to me. I just have a few questions.
    1. How do we know that ##PN/N## is a ##p##-group?

2. This step seems to be doing a number of things, the validity of none of which is obvious to me. Can you justify it? I can get to the RHS from ##[KN/N:PN/N]##, but not by the route shown above. I would use the 2nd isomorphism theorem and the fact that, for finite groups, ##[A:B]= \frac{|A|}{|B|}##.

3. You can stop before the equals sign and just observe that, since [itex]P[/itex] is a Sylow [itex]p[/itex]-subgroup of [itex]K[/itex], [itex]p[/itex] does not divide [itex]\frac{|K|}{|P|}[/itex], since the multiplicity of ##p## in the order of ##|P|## must equal the multiplicity of ##p## in the order of ##|K|##.

4. Apr 5, 2016 #3
  5. Apr 5, 2016 #4

jim mcnamara

Staff: Mentor

You are free to do what you want. But this is a cross-post. Asking the same question at several different sites. This means Bungo and Andrew both worked out an answer. If you believe it is your right to do this, the net result of persistent cross-posting is a strong possibility that folks will skip your posts next time they see them.

I already know I will. Bye.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted