Symbolic Centripetal Force Problem on WebAssign

In summary, A car traveling on a flat, circular track with a tangential acceleration of a accelerates from rest and skids off the track after one quarter of the way around. The coefficient of static friction between the car and the track can be determined using the variable a and the acceleration of gravity, g, as \frac{\pi * a}{g}. There may be issues with WebAssign, as the same method worked for a similar non-symbolic problem.
darthfodder

Homework Statement

A car traveling on a flat (unbanked), circular track accelerates uniformly from rest with a tangential acceleration of a. The car makes it one quarter of the way around the circle before it skids off the track. From these data, determine the coefficient of static friction between the car and the track. (Use any variable or symbol stated above along with the following as necessary: g for the acceleration of gravity.)

3. An attempt at a solution.

I believe the answer is [tex]\frac{\pi * a}{g}[/tex]. If you need, I can post how I got there. Using the same way I got there worked on the non-symbolic problem that is otherwise the same before it. But WebAssign is telling me the symbolic one is wrong. So either I got lucky on the non-symbolic problem, or WebAssign is being very picky. Just trying to figure out which it is.

Physics news on Phys.org
I agree with your answer, so I'd lean towards some issue with WebAssign.

1. What is a symbolic centripetal force problem?

A symbolic centripetal force problem is a type of physics problem that involves calculating the centripetal force acting on an object in circular motion. In this type of problem, the values for the mass, velocity, and radius may be given symbolically instead of numerically, requiring the use of algebra to solve.

2. How do you approach solving a symbolic centripetal force problem?

To solve a symbolic centripetal force problem, you will need to use the formula F = (mv2)/r, where F is the centripetal force, m is the mass, v is the velocity, and r is the radius. You will also need to use algebra to manipulate the given variables and solve for the unknown value.

3. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving a symbolic centripetal force problem?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving a symbolic centripetal force problem include using the wrong formula, not converting units to the correct form, and not paying attention to the direction of the force. It is important to carefully read and understand the problem before attempting to solve it.

4. Can you provide an example of a symbolic centripetal force problem?

Sure, here is an example: An object with a mass of m is moving at a speed of v in a circular path with a radius of r. What is the centripetal force acting on the object?

To solve this problem, we would use the formula F = (mv2)/r and plug in the given values to get F = (m)(v2)/r. We would then use algebra to manipulate the equation and solve for F.

5. How can I check my answer for a symbolic centripetal force problem?

To check your answer for a symbolic centripetal force problem, you can plug your calculated value back into the original formula and see if it yields the same values for the given variables. You can also use the given values to calculate the centripetal force and compare it to your answer.