Symmetric of a point relative to a line

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
Acut
Messages
226
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


What is the easiest way of finding the symmetrical of a point relative to an arbitrary line?
(I was asked on an exam to find the symmetrical of a point relative to the line y = x, but that's rather trivial - just switch the coordinates. How can I do it for any arbitrary line ax + by = c?)

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


I found a way, but it's rather messy. Given the line s and the point P, find the line t that is perpendicular to s and passes through P. Calculate the distance d between P and s. Find the point on the line t that is also at a distance d from s.

This sounds awfully complicated and messy for me. Is there a quicker way?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
For a line of the form Ax+By+C = 0, distance d from a point p is:

d = |Ax+By+C|/(A2+B2)1/2

[|...| is simply the absolute value meant to keep d>/=0]
 
Hitchens said:
For a line of the form Ax+By+C = 0, distance d from a point p is:

d = |Ax+By+C|/(A2+B2)1/2

[|...| is simply the absolute value meant to keep d>/=0]

This is precisely the formula I would use in the description I have given. But it's rather
cumbersome to use it twice in a single problem. Is there a way around?
 
Acut said:
This is precisely the formula I would use in the description I have given. But it's rather
cumbersome to use it twice in a single problem. Is there a way around?

Why would you use it twice? Using it once will provide you with the shortest distance from the line to the point.