Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Symmetry violation in the early universe - a book!

1. Jul 4, 2013 #1
    Hi there,

I've done some searching around on the forums and in the library, but I haven't found what I was looking for - some information of symmetry violation in the early universe. I know some small pieces of information but I'm currently trying to consolidate that so that I have an actual understanding (even if basic) of the theories behind C, P and T symmetry violation in the early universe. I've been so far unable to find any book that particualrly addresses the issue and so I was wondering if anyone here could shed some light or point me in the right direction?

By "early universe", I simply mean at the times when these asymmetries were first theorised to occur.

I'm currently a Physics undergraduate (between my first and second year), which I mention just so anyone reading this knows what kind of level I'm at - so if I'm way above my head here, then please let me know!

Thanks for the help! :)

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 9, 2013 #2
    In general, it is easiest to understand what the three different symmetries.

Then try to understand some simple examples of violation of combinations of the symmetries.

Example, search for cp violation and the standard model. This is experimentally well measured.

Now, I think you are worried about why we are in a matter dominated universe. In which case we have to search outside of the standard model to explain this. Some of these are quite complicated, but you may want to search for some articles on;
    Baryogenesis or leptogenesis

I don't have book recommendations for these last ones unfortunately. But there are many papers on arxiv.org

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook