Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Synchronous Speed to Shaft Speed

1. Oct 2, 2016 #1
    Hi All

I have a standard induction motor torque vs. synchronous speed diagram and I want to calculate the shaft-speed at any point along the curve (from 0% synchronous speed to 100% synchronous speed). I know that the synchronous speed is 1500 rpm at 95% synchronous speed (which is also at full-load), at full-load the induction motor experiences 5% slip.

Now, I know that the equation nshaft = nsynch*(100-%slip) will give me the shaft speed at full-load, but I also know that the slip changes as per the amount of torque/synchronous speed.

At 0% synchronous speed there is 100% slip and at 100% synchronous speed there is 0% slip.

Is there any method to how you can calculate the shaft speeds on the information i've presented? 1500rpm synch speed and 5% slip at full-load.

02473.png

Thank you for your help

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2016 #2

Hesch

Gold Member

Yes, I think you can calculate it, at least by numeric methods ( computer simulation ).

You may find an approximate result, using circle diagrams.

Try to Google:
    circle diagram of induction motor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted