Motor shaft connections and testing

Summary:

I wanted to understand how to connect the motor
This is an MCLV-2 development board from microchip, with it got the Hurst motor as shown below
1605281371614.png

The problem is that the shaft is smooth i cannot connect the loads etc. So, I want to clarify the below points
a. What type of connectors i should look for and which websites will have the information?
b. If i want to test the performance of the motor i mean the torque, speed. Which tool do i need to buy?
Presently i have not decided the load to connect.

Last edited by a moderator:

Answers and Replies

Averagesupernova
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I personally haven't found many motors without either a keyway or flat spot on the shaft. Any motor with just a round shaft is not likely expected to deliver very much torque.

Likes berkeman
jrmichler
Mentor
I do not use keys on high performance servo motors that do a lot of reversing. The reason is that any slippage will eventually hammer the key loose and fret the shaft. Shaft keys work well on drives with minimal reversing torque.

Shaft connections without keys can be done with either clamp or shrink fits. This figure, from the link in Post #4, shows a coupling that uses a clamp fit:
Coupling.jpg

Clamp and shrink fit connections need to be carefully calculated. If the calculations are done correctly, and the coupling is installed correctly, they work very well.

For a small motor like the Hurst motor in the OP, a setscrew should work without problems. It's a good idea to file a flat on the motor shaft for the setscrew. That will make it easier to get the coupling off if the setscrew dimples the shaft.

• Informative
Likes DaveE, Lnewqban and berkeman