System hangs for anybody else when trying to post?

• Thread starter jim hardy
  • Start date
In summary, if you post and something doesn't happen right away, it might be because you're experiencing a lossy internet connection. If you're posting and something isn't happening, try reloading the page.
jim hardy
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
I compose, click "post" and nothing happens just a litt;le gray icon in upper right shows dots moving across it as if something were happening.
If i get mad and hit "reply" a half dozen times, then several posts appear and i have to delete the duplicates.
If i close the browser and reload PF there's my post

It's intermittent,
right this minute my last post shows in "Random Thoughts" and is also in "reply" area as if still pending .

Started several days ago.

Physics news on Phys.org
Just happened to me replying to one of your post. Makes me wonder ... :olduhh:

I see this fairly often. Anecdotally, it happens when I'm behind a NAT router and a lossy internet connection.

Likes gracy
jim hardy said:
system hangs for anybody else when try to post?
Yup... exactly as you describe it.
Nugatory said:
...a lossy internet connection.
http://testmy.net/db/X9oq4sAQ5

I've got FTTP with decent speed, so I don't think it's a bad internet connection, but...[COLOR=#black]..[/COLOR]:oldconfused:Another odd thing happens... right at midnight, for me anyway. I seem to lose my connection to this forum, and this one only... it stays that way for right about one or two minutes, then it's fine... ?

Last edited:
OCR said:
Another odd thing happens... right at midnight, for me anyway. I seem to lose my connection to this forum, and this one only... it stays that way for right about one or two min
Oh yeah.

dlgoff said:
Just happened to me replying to one of your post. Makes me wonder ... :olduhh:
Other weird things happen .
I ordered a truck shop manual yesterday from an Ebay seller in Texas, USPS notification says it's being shipped from England . ?
A "Rocket Propellant Handbook" i ordered from Powell's in Oregon took a month to arrive and was postmarked Ohio.. So i took "Plutonium Handbook" off my wish list.

NSA ? I'd be flattered...

Likes 1oldman2
jim hardy said:
Other weird things happen .
I ordered a truck shop manual yesterday from an Ebay seller in Texas, USPS notification says it's being shipped from England . ?
A "Rocket Propellant Handbook" i ordered from Powell's in Oregon took a month to arrive and was postmarked Ohio.. So i took "Plutonium Handbook" off my wish list.

NSA ? I'd be flattered...
Used to be there was basically one middleman, with the internet who knows how many ?:wideeyed: and if Trump gets elected he might switch it off :rolleyes:

Last edited:
RonL said:
and if Trump gets elected he might switch it off :rolleyes:

which might be a good thing...

51aJ166K6HL._SX313_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Likes RonL
Testing, after "restore firewall defaults"

wow, it worked instantly. No delay, no double post.

Tip of the hat to @dlgoff !

Hmm auto-complete for @user seems to not work though.
Computers are just that way.

OCR said:
Another odd thing happens... right at midnight, for me anyway. I seem to lose my connection to this forum, and this one only... it stays that way for right about one or two minutes, then it's fine... ?
For me it happens at 11pm, PDT, and you're one time zone to the east from me, so it would be midnight for you. That's when the PF server reboots.

Mark44 said:
For me it happens at 11pm, PDT, and you're one time zone to the east from me, so it would be midnight for you.
That's right... :ok:

I thought it might be something like that... thanks.
That's when the PF server reboots.

jim hardy said:
wow, it worked instantly. No delay, no double post.

Tip of the hat to @dlgoff !

Hmm auto-complete for @user seems to not work though.
Computers are just that way.
I'm still having a few issues. Will add to our conversation. lots to figure.

it's back to old tricks again

computers are just that way. Never trust one with anything. Period.

Likes 1oldman2
I find reloading the page takes care of the issue every time, try that right after clicking "post"

Likes OCR
1oldman2 said:
I find reloading the page takes care of the issue every time, try that right after clicking "post"
Yeah, it sure seems to... :thumbup: That's what I've been doing, anyway... :ok:

Likes 1oldman2
1oldman2 said:

except when your post in progress disappears and you lose 2 hours of typing.

Anybody tried uninstalling "alljoyn router" ? It looks to be a promiscuous add-on.

jim hardy said:
except when your post in progress disappears and you lose 2 hours of typing.
Do a "select-all" followed by a "copy" before you risk the reload, and you'll be able to paste it back in after the reload. I do this routinely when I'm using my ancient iPad/Safari and posting wants to hang.

With newer browsers, the forum software's automatic draft save works well as long as your Internet connection stays up.

Likes OCR and 1oldman2
jim hardy said:
Anybody tried uninstalling "alljoyn router" ?
I won't and really can't vouch for this at all, but it might be something to take a look at... it's about 20 minutes long, and click Show More...

What Windows 10 Services Can I Disable?

1oldman2 said:
That would be new to me.
Yeah, I haven't had a post in progress disappear on PF, yet... :olduhh:

I've had it happen on other ones, though... :headbang:[COLOR=#black]...[/COLOR] :oldgrumpy:

Likes 1oldman2
Mine is set to Manual start...

upload_2016-8-28_21-58-37.png

jim hardy said:
how do i get into it ? Clicking "outbound connections"
Be careful, these settings can be redone fairly easily, but security permission settings will give your computer problems and you down-time, hence why I'm just now replying. :blushing:

Here you go:
Profiles.jpg

Takes you to:
Block-Allow.jpg

jim hardy said:
it's back to old tricks again
I'm working with a clean slate. Is this what you're seeing?
dots.gif
That's Greg's image, so I feel safe. :bow:

Edit:
BTW @Greg Bernhardt, when posting this reply, the "dot thingy" remained on the window and the window never refreshed so I thought I was still in reply/edit mode (it got posted as viewed from another tab). I left clicked on the .gif and inspected the element and deleted the node then I could refresh the page.

Last edited:
Likes 1oldman2
Keep the reports coming. I'm working on a few things and like hitting a circuit breaker, you don't know if it worked unless the light doesn't turn on. So I need confirmations.

Likes 1oldman2
I think the app was causing this. I have installed a patch. Keep me updated.

Likes OCR, dlgoff and 1oldman2
Working very smoothly this time. :ok:

Likes OCR
jim hardy said:
I compose, click "post" and nothing happens just a litt;le gray icon in upper right shows dots moving across it as if something were happening.
If i get mad and hit "reply" a half dozen times, then several posts appear and i have to delete the duplicates.
If i close the browser and reload PF there's my post

It's intermittent,
right this minute my last post shows in "Random Thoughts" and is also in "reply" area as if still pending .

Started several days ago.

I see this very regularly over the last ~ 3 weeks - a month. Mainly when posting when there are attached images

I too was initially hitting post reply several times then having to delete the dups. Have since discovered that just reloading
the page shows that the post has appeared on the page without the need to repostingDave

Likes OCR and 1oldman2
davenn said:
Mainly when posting when there are attached images
Yeah, posting images did seem to make it worse, also, the like button works better now... thanks Greg.[COLOR=#black]..[/COLOR] :thumbup:

Likes 1oldman2 and Greg Bernhardt
testing
a quote from
http://www.techrepublic.com/article...ljoyn-making-the-internet-of-things-possible/
about Alljoyn
The goal of the AllSeen Alliance and the AllJoyn protocol is to make connecting things to the network a simple plug-and-play experience. Plug in your brand new LG 79" class 2160P Smart 3D Ultra HD 4K TV and it's immediately seen and connected to any AllJoyn device on the network. In particular, Microsoft wants that connection to be to any Windows 10 device. There are numerous devices already supporting the AllJoyn protocol, and more are sure to follow.

Why you should care
From a business perspective, IoT is where big data analytics will reveal its true power. All of these interconnected devices are going to be continually sending feedback data for seemingly mundane facts, like how long the lights have been on. This plethora of data will be systematically analyzed to reveal patterns that can be exploited to save costs, increase revenues, direct advertising, and establish customer relationships, among other things.

By tapping into all of the IoT- generated data, companies may end up knowing more about you than you do yourself. And the more interoperable the AllJoyn framework is, the more data there will be to work with. Where all of this data collection will lead and what it means for concepts like privacy is an open question, but rest assured that things are going to be different.
try a video link

try an image
SaudiNuke.jpg

okay here goes, going to tap "post"EDIT worked fine that time Greg !

let's see what EDIT does

that worked fine too.

Likes dlgoff and Greg Bernhardt

1. Why does the system hang when I try to post?

The most common reason for a system to hang when trying to post is due to a lack of memory or processing power. This can happen if the system is running too many programs at once or if the computer's hardware is outdated. It can also be caused by a software bug or compatibility issue.

2. How can I fix the system hang when posting?

There are a few steps you can take to try and fix the system hang. First, try closing any unnecessary programs to free up memory and processing power. If that doesn't work, try restarting your computer. If the problem persists, it may be due to a software bug or compatibility issue. You can try updating your software or contacting the developer for assistance.

3. Is the system hang when posting a common issue?

System hangs when posting can happen to anyone, but it is not a common issue. It is more likely to occur on older or slower computers, or if the system is overloaded with programs and tasks. It can also be caused by a specific software or hardware issue. If you are experiencing frequent system hangs, it may be worth troubleshooting or seeking professional help.

4. Can a virus or malware cause the system to hang when posting?

Yes, a virus or malware infection can cause the system to hang when posting. These malicious programs can slow down or disrupt the normal functioning of your computer, including when trying to post. It is important to regularly update your antivirus software and run scans to prevent and remove any potential threats.

5. How can I prevent the system from hanging when posting in the future?

To prevent system hangs when posting in the future, make sure to keep your computer's hardware and software up to date. Avoid running too many programs at once and regularly clear out unnecessary files and programs. It is also important to have a reliable antivirus program installed and to practice safe internet browsing habits to avoid potential malware infections.