System of communicating known as BBS

• Thread starter CosminaPrisma
  • Start date
  • Tags
    System
In summary, BBS (Bulletin Board System) is a system of communication that was popular in the 1980s and 1990s before the widespread use of the internet. It allowed users to connect to a central computer through a phone line and access various forums, message boards, and files. BBS was a precursor to online communities and played a significant role in the early development of online communication. Its decline in popularity was due to the rise of the internet and modern social media platforms.
CosminaPrisma
Reportedly back in the olden days there was a system of communicating known as BBS. I guess it started in the early 80s and ended in the early 90s. Being a spring chicken I know nothing about this. Supposedly you could talk to more local people and it was more strictly monitored...could anyone tell me more about this, if it still exists, or give me a couple of links that they consider to be good websites about it?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Thank you. :)

1. What is a BBS?

A BBS (Bulletin Board System) is a type of online communication system that allows users to interact with each other by posting messages, sharing files, and participating in discussions.

2. How does a BBS work?

A BBS typically works by using a server computer that hosts the system and allows users to connect through a client software. Users can then browse and post on the BBS using a menu-based interface.

3. What are some common features of a BBS?

Some common features of a BBS include message boards, file sharing, user profiles, chat rooms, and games. Some BBS systems also offer email and online messaging services.

4. Are BBS systems still used today?

While they are not as popular as they were in the past, BBS systems are still used today by some communities for specific purposes such as gaming, file sharing, or for nostalgic reasons.

5. How is a BBS different from other forms of online communication?

Unlike modern social media platforms, BBS systems are typically text-based and have a simpler interface. They also operate on a smaller scale, with a smaller number of users and a more focused community.