Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

System of differential equations (classification of 3x3 case)

1. Apr 7, 2009 #1
    Hi,

i am new here and this is my first problem to post. As you probably know eigenvalues are used to determine the stability of critical points of systems of first-order, autonomous differential equations. I know how the method works for 2x2 systems. For example if the eigenvalues of matrix A are of opposite sign then the critical point is a saddle. And this is asymptotically unstable. My problem is the classification of 3x3 systems. With 3x3 systems you get 3 eigenvalues and three eigenvectors. Finding them is relatively easy. But what is the classification for example if i get 2 positive eigenvalues and one negative? Is this is a node, stable or unstable? So basically i need an overview of the classification of the type and stability for 3x3 systems. Your help is much appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 9, 2009 #2
    Books are GOOD

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook