System of differential equations Basic question

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with finding eigenvectors for a matrix in a system of equations. The usual method is to find eigenvalues and then eigenvectors, but in some cases, the eigenvector may be the null vector. The conversation suggests using a method called generalized eigenvalues to find a solution in these cases.
dumbdumNotSmart
So I ran into an case I have not seen before. Say we have a system of 3 equations such that W´=AW, where W=(x(t),y(t),z(t)) and A is a 3x3 matrix. The way I usually approach these is by finding the eigenvalues of A to then find the eigenvectors and thus find the ¨homogenous¨ solution. What happens when the eigenvector I am looking for, given by a eigenvalue, is the null vector?

An example where this happens: A=(-1,0,1//2,-1,1//0,0,-1)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
dumbdumNotSmart said:
So I ran into an case I have not seen before. Say we have a system of 3 equations such that W´=AW, where W=(x(t),y(t),z(t)) and A is a 3x3 matrix. The way I usually approach these is by finding the eigenvalues of A to then find the eigenvectors and thus find the ¨homogenous¨ solution. What happens when the eigenvector I am looking for, given by a eigenvalue, is the null vector?

An example where this happens: A=(-1,0,1//2,-1,1//0,0,-1)
By definition, an eigenvector can't be the zero vector.
For the matrix you show, I get repeated eigenvalues of ##\lambda = -1##, but the associated eigenvector is not the zero vector.

Yes I am aware of that. That is why Iam curious to how you solve it using another method since mine is not working(giving me null eigenvectors).

dumbdumNotSmart said:
Yes I am aware of that. That is why Iam curious to how you solve it using another method since mine is not working(giving me null eigenvectors).
I would be curious to see your work. As already mentioned, for the matrix you showed, there is only one eigenvalue (repeated), and its eigenvector is not the zero vector.

There is a technique called generalized eigenvalues that can sometimes be used to get eigenvectors in cases like the one here. Do a web search for "generalized eigenvalues".

1. What is a system of differential equations?

A system of differential equations is a set of equations that describe how one or more variables change over time. These equations involve derivatives, which represent the rate of change of the variables.

2. What is the importance of studying systems of differential equations?

Systems of differential equations are essential in many fields of science and engineering as they help us understand and model complex systems that involve change over time. They are used to describe various phenomena such as population growth, chemical reactions, and electrical circuits, among others.

3. How are systems of differential equations solved?

There are various methods for solving systems of differential equations, including analytical, numerical, and graphical methods. Analytical methods involve finding exact solutions using mathematical techniques, while numerical methods use algorithms to approximate solutions. Graphical methods involve plotting the solutions to gain insights into the behavior of the system.

4. What are the applications of systems of differential equations?

Systems of differential equations have numerous applications in various fields, including physics, biology, economics, and engineering. They are used to model and predict the behavior of complex systems, making them essential in understanding real-world problems and making informed decisions.

5. Can systems of differential equations have multiple solutions?

Yes, systems of differential equations can have multiple solutions. In fact, some systems may have an infinite number of solutions. These solutions may represent different possible outcomes or behaviors of the system, and choosing the appropriate solution depends on the specific problem being studied.