System to collect a small amount of water from the air

In summary, a small dehumidifier should work fine for collecting water in a one cubic foot volume. They can collect 9oz. or more per day (but YMMV, since it will be dependent on the moisture content of the space).
jamesson
Is there a well-known system that can collect small quantities of water from air, like maybe 6 oz/day? Should take up at most a cubic foot

Engineering news on Phys.org
There are lots. Everything from Silicone gel packets* to small dehumidifiers.

What are your criteria?

Access to sunlight?
Is power allowed?
Maintenance-free?

*OK, technically it collects water, but not really in a usable form.

Likes russ_watters
Power is allowed, sure. Maintenance should be minimal, access to sunlight not guaranteed

And, I am looking to use the water for plants. Doesn't need to be potable, but shouldn't be super-toxic either.

Yeah, that's the literal/exact purpose of a dehumidifier.

Water harvesting devices like those in the picture are used in Chile where it is very dry most of the time. Morning dew is often the source.

1574190224460.png

But success depends critically on the atmosphere conditions in your location. Here's a clue. How often are the leaves and grass in your area covered by dew in the morning?

Likes Joe591
anorlunda said:
Water harvesting devices like those in the picture are used in Chile...

View attachment 253067
Not sure how effective those nets would be if stuffed into a one cubic foot volume. :oldbiggrin:

If power is allowed, your best bet is probably an active collector, rather than a passive one. They can collect 9oz. or more per day (but YMMV, since it will be dependent on the moisture content of the space).

A quick Google shows a bunch of small dehumidifiers that should fit.

You can bypass the collection tank and run tubing straight to your plants.Come to think of it, this is a brilliant idea for those of us with black thumbs who can't keep a plant alive.

A quick Google shows a bunch of small dehumidifiers that should fit

But how do these things work, exactly? Surely they do something other than forced cooling/heating, or do forced/cooling/heating in some special way? I mean, of course I can buy one and disassemble it but I'd really rather not.

theycallmevirgo said:
A quick Google shows a bunch of small dehumidifiers that should fit

But how do these things work, exactly? Surely they do something other than forced cooling/heating, or do forced/cooling/heating in some special way? I mean, of course I can buy one and disassemble it but I'd really rather not.
A dehumidifier is just an air conditioner with no ductwork or other physical separation between the hot and cold sides.

Youtube is your frieeend

Thanks for all the hints everybody! After I discarded peltiers as electronics coolers I never thought I'd use them for anything else, but here we go!

1. How does a system collect water from the air?

The system uses a process called condensation to collect water molecules from the air. This is done by cooling the air to its dew point, causing the water vapor to turn into liquid water.

2. What materials are needed to build a system to collect water from the air?

The materials needed may vary depending on the specific design, but generally a system to collect water from the air will require a condenser, a cooling mechanism, and a collection tank or container. Other materials such as pipes, filters, and pumps may also be necessary.

3. How much water can be collected using this system?

The amount of water that can be collected depends on several factors, including the humidity of the air, the size and efficiency of the system, and the amount of time the system is in operation. On average, a system can collect anywhere from a few liters to several gallons of water per day.

4. Is this system sustainable and environmentally friendly?

Yes, a system to collect water from the air can be sustainable and environmentally friendly. It does not require any external water source and uses renewable energy sources such as solar or wind power to operate. It also helps to reduce the demand for groundwater or surface water sources.

5. Can this system be used in any location?

Yes, this system can be used in most locations as long as there is enough humidity in the air. However, the efficiency of the system may vary depending on the climate and humidity levels. It is most effective in areas with high humidity, such as coastal regions or tropical climates.