System to collect a small amount of water from the air

• Thread starter jamesson
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Is there a well-known system that can collect small quantities of water from air, like maybe 6 oz/day? Should take up at most a cubic foot

Answers and Replies

DaveC426913
Gold Member
There are lots. Everything from Silicone gel packets* to small dehumidifiers.

What are your criteria?

Access to sunlight?
Is power allowed?
Maintenance-free?

*OK, technically it collects water, but not really in a usable form.

Power is allowed, sure. Maintenance should be minimal, access to sunlight not guaranteed

And, I am looking to use the water for plants. Doesn't need to be potable, but shouldn't be super-toxic either.

russ_watters
Mentor
Yeah, that's the literal/exact purpose of a dehumidifier.

Water harvesting devices like those in the picture are used in Chile where it is very dry most of the time. Morning dew is often the source.

1574190224460.png

But success depends critically on the atmosphere conditions in your location. Here's a clue. How often are the leaves and grass in your area covered by dew in the morning?

DaveC426913
Gold Member
Water harvesting devices like those in the picture are used in Chile...

View attachment 253067
Not sure how effective those nets would be if stuffed into a one cubic foot volume. :oldbiggrin:

DaveC426913
Gold Member
If power is allowed, your best bet is probably an active collector, rather than a passive one. They can collect 9oz. or more per day (but YMMV, since it will be dependent on the moisture content of the space).

A quick Google shows a bunch of small dehumidifiers that should fit.

You can bypass the collection tank and run tubing straight to your plants.

Come to think of it, this is a brilliant idea for those of us with black thumbs who can't keep a plant alive.

Baluncore
Science Advisor
A quick Google shows a bunch of small dehumidifiers that should fit

But how do these things work, exactly? Surely they do something other than forced cooling/heating, or do forced/cooling/heating in some special way? I mean, of course I can buy one and disassemble it but I'd really rather not.

russ_watters
Mentor
A quick Google shows a bunch of small dehumidifiers that should fit

But how do these things work, exactly? Surely they do something other than forced cooling/heating, or do forced/cooling/heating in some special way? I mean, of course I can buy one and disassemble it but I'd really rather not.
A dehumidifier is just an air conditioner with no ductwork or other physical separation between the hot and cold sides.

Youtube is your frieeend

Thanks for all the hints everybody! After I discarded peltiers as electronics coolers I never thought I'd use them for anything else, but here we go!