1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Systems Modeling Question (First order thermal circuit)

1. Aug 5, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have a problem with understanding the thermal circuit I attached to this thread. Please help. It's a Thermal circuit of a computer CPU that needs to be simplified to have just 2 lumped capacitances and resitances. How would one go about doing that? along with the equations?

IMG_0454.JPG

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 5, 2015 #2
    This is what they simplified it to but I don't understand it:

IMG_0455.JPG

4. Aug 5, 2015 #3
    I tried to picture it like this but I'm not sure if it's right:

IMG_0456.JPG

5. Aug 5, 2015 #4

donpacino

Gold Member

that is as simple as you are going to get it without losing data. Why are you trying to simplify it?

If you only need the thermal profile at one location you can use equivalent circuits to simplify i guess.

6. Aug 5, 2015 #5
    @donpacino , okay, but is my circuit the same as their version of the circuit? Cause I'm trying to comprehend it in terms of an electrical circuit analogy but their drawing just looks weird...

7. Aug 6, 2015 #6

donpacino

Gold Member

your circuit is not equivalent. If you look, the capacitances go to ground, not across the resistances.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted