1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Take fall semester off to study for PGRE?

Tags:
  1. Jul 24, 2013 #1
    So the way my schedule is looking, I will be finished after a fall semester. Now I want to do an REU during that summer leading into the fall, so I won't really be studying then, which is from what I understand, when most people do their studying for the PGRE. Would it be best to postpone my final semester for the spring, and just use the full fall semester to study for the PGRE?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 29, 2013 #2
    Sounds a bit overboard to me, but what do I know. I studied for and took the Physics GRE (and the regular one too) while taking my normal course load.

4. Jul 29, 2013 #3

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Please don't take this the wrong way, but based on your posting history, I think that you should be planning on spending as much time as you can studying for the GRE. You've got a way to go before you're ready for grad school.

5. Jul 29, 2013 #4
    Well that makes sense considering im in freshman level physics courses. Goodness...just wondered if that would be a good game plan. I never specified when it would be

6. Jul 29, 2013 #5
    The PGRE is only offered in September, October, and April, so you could only realistically study for half of the (fall) semester (at best) if you wanted to take it in time to start grad school the following fall.

A better strategy would be to focus on doing really well in your classes, and consistently review. That way, you won't have to go on some study binge the summer or semester before the test.

7. Jul 30, 2013 #6

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

If you have three or four years to go (and for heaven's sake, why didn't you mention that?) Stengah is right: focus on doing really well in your classes, and consistently review.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook