Take FFT to find time period for eclipsing binaries

In summary, the conversation is about using Kepler Data for Eclipsing Binaries to estimate various parameters such as time period, mass, eccentricity, semi-major axis, and distance of binary systems. The person wants to write code in MATLAB to use FFT to find the time period. The available data has several columns, including bjd(date), phase, raw_flux, raw_err, corr_flux, corr_err, dtr_flux, and dtr_err. The question is whether the data needs to be cleaned and which data should be used for the FFT. The speaker also suggests fitting individual transits and getting the period from timestamps as a more reliable method, especially if the stars are variable on their own.
CassiopeiaA
I am trying to use Kepler Data for Eclipsing Binaries to estimate time period, and then other parameters such as mass, eccentricity, semi-major axis, distance, etc. of the binary systems. I want to write code in MATLAB which will use FFT to find the time period. The available data has the following columns:

bjd(date) | phase | raw_flux | raw_err | corr_flux | corr_err | dtr_flux | dtr_err

My question : Does this data require any cleaning? And If I want to take the FFT of the data to find time period, which data should I use? (If there is another method for finding time, please do suggest)

Astronomy news on Phys.org
The signal is not a sine curve, so you would have to look for a whole tower of spectra for frequencies n, 2n, 3n, ... I'm not sure how useful that is. Fitting the individual transits and then getting the period out of those timestamps could be more reliable. This is even more important if the stars are variable on their own.

Likes jim mcnamara

1. What is an FFT?

An FFT, or Fast Fourier Transform, is a mathematical algorithm used to transform a signal from its original domain (typically time or space) to a representation in the frequency domain. This allows for easier analysis and identification of specific frequencies within the signal.

2. How does the FFT method help find the time period for eclipsing binaries?

The FFT method can be used to analyze the variations in brightness of an eclipsing binary star system. By taking the FFT of the light curve data, the dominant frequency in the signal can be identified, which corresponds to the orbital period of the binary system.

3. What is the benefit of using FFT over other methods for finding the time period of eclipsing binaries?

The FFT method is much faster and more efficient compared to other methods, such as manually identifying and measuring the eclipses in the light curve. It also allows for more accurate results as it can identify frequencies that may be too subtle for the human eye to detect.

4. Are there any limitations to using FFT for finding the time period of eclipsing binaries?

Yes, the FFT method assumes that the signal is periodic, which may not always be the case for eclipsing binaries. It also requires a consistent and evenly-spaced time series data.

5. Is there a specific software or program that is commonly used for conducting FFT analysis on eclipsing binary data?

Yes, there are many software and programs available for FFT analysis, such as MATLAB, Python, and IDL. However, the most commonly used program for analyzing astronomical data, including eclipsing binaries, is called IRAF (Image Reduction and Analysis Facility).