Database of binary star data info within 10 PC of Earth

In summary, the conversation revolved around finding a database of binary stars within 10 PC of Earth and their orbital information. Several databases were suggested, including the NASA HEASARC and the ESA Gaia site, which offers tutorials on how to query their database for non-single stars. It was also mentioned that a sharp definition of what constitutes a binary system may be necessary. However, there may be issues with finding information on the orbital parameters of these systems.
Sciencemaster
TL;DR Summary
I'm looking for a database of binary stars within 10 PC of Earth containing info such as the eccentricity of orbits around one another that's somewhat easy to use.
I'm looking for a database of binary stars within 10 PC of Earth, including information such as eccentricity of orbits, their distance from one another, etc. I'm hoping to find a list with this information, or just a collection of pages with this information. I've tried Simbad but I can't find information on Binary Star Orbits. My question is, is there a publicly available database with this information that's somewhat easy to use to someone without much experience with such databases?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Here's one I found via Google:

https://heasarc.gsfc.nasa.gov/W3Browse/star-catalog/cabscat.html

I imagine a query would be needed to find those systems that close to Earth ala 10 pc.

At the bottom of the page they mention fields x-coords, y-coords, z-coords which could be used via the pythagorean theorem to decide if the system is within your 10pc radius.

and this page seems to allow queries by distance:

http://simbad.u-strasbg.fr/simbad/sim-fcoo

then again maybe not. It seemes to index journal articles.

I suspect you will need to do this in two steps - find the systems, and then look up their parameters.

I also suspect you will need to decide what a binary system is/what a star is - i.e. what to do with brown dwarfs. You may or may not be able to get a sharp definition. I would be inclined to consider lithium as the dividing line, but I don't know if all my candidates would have good measurements,

Vanadium 50 said:
I suspect you will need to do this in two steps - find the systems, and then look up their parameters.

I also suspect you will need to decide what a binary system is/what a star is - i.e. what to do with brown dwarfs. You may or may not be able to get a sharp definition. I would be inclined to consider lithium as the dividing line, but I don't know if all my candidates would have good measurements,
That's a fair point. I have created a list of the binary stars I need information on (I am including orbiting brown dwarfs for the time being, and I can always just ignore them later on), but I'm having trouble finding information on their oribits, as the databases I have tried so far just give me information on the stars themselves--such as brightness and declination--whereas I need to know information about how they orbit around one another. It doesn't help that I'm inexperienced in the use of databases, so I'm not exactly sure how to look for what I need, either.

I would suggest going thru the tutorials on the ESA's Gaia site to gain some experience on the database queries. They are very good, and they also have a database of non-single stars. I haven't gone thru this database, but they may have the orbital parameters, or links to the publications that do.

https://www.cosmos.esa.int/web/gaia/dr3-non-single-stars

Likes pbuk
Mendrys said:
I would suggest going thru the tutorials on the ESA's Gaia site to gain some experience on the database queries. They are very good, and they also have a database of non-single stars. I haven't gone thru this database, but they may have the orbital parameters, or links to the publications that do.

https://www.cosmos.esa.int/web/gaia/dr3-non-single-stars
Thank you very much! That's a good idea, I'll try that!

1. What is a binary star?

A binary star is a system of two stars that orbit around a common center of mass. They are held together by their mutual gravitational attraction.

2. Why is it important to have a database of binary star data within 10 PC of Earth?

Studying binary stars can provide valuable information about the formation and evolution of stars, as well as the dynamics of stellar systems. Having a database of binary star data within 10 PC of Earth allows scientists to easily access and analyze this information.

3. How is the data in this database collected?

The data in this database is collected through various methods, such as ground-based telescopes, space-based telescopes, and interferometry techniques. The data is then compiled and organized into the database for easy access and analysis.

4. What kind of information can be found in this database?

This database contains information about the physical properties of binary stars within 10 PC of Earth, such as their masses, orbital periods, and distances from Earth. It may also include information about their spectral types, luminosities, and other characteristics.

5. How can this database be used by scientists?

This database can be used by scientists to study the characteristics and behavior of binary stars, as well as to search for potential new binary systems. It can also be used to compare and analyze data from different binary stars, providing insights into the formation and evolution of stellar systems.