1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Studying Take module on Quantum Computing or Stochastic Mechanics?

1. Nov 19, 2016 #1

Fyj

Hi. I was wondering if you could help me out a bit here.

I have a choice to take either a module on stochastic dynamics in statistical mechanics or quantum computing for my masters. Both seem really interesting so it’s a close tie between which one has more current/future applications.

The most stat mech I know is on an undergrad level, but since I have less modules this semester I think I can catch up to the pre requisites with some self reading.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2016 #2
    The stochastic dynamics course has the broadest set of applications, ranging from astrophysics to much of biophysics and even non-physics disciplines like machine learning.

4. Nov 23, 2016 #3
    I do not know anything about quantum computing for comparison, but I think stochastic mechanics is interesting. As Crass_Oscillator said astrophysics, plasma physics, some biophysics demonstrates many applications of stochastic mechanics. Many papers by Chandrasekhar are particularly interesting.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted