• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Take my time during undergrad or get out as soon as I can?

• Thread starter mnnob07
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

I have spent a great year at a local community college (in Ohio), and combined with some summer credits there and credits from high school will have virtually all of my general curriculum done and most first year/some second year stuff. My planned major is Chemical Engineering.

I guess one detail left out is how I'm going to pay for my university education (transferring this fall). I have always enjoyed math and I have come to enjoy physics, chemistry and am interested in engineering as a career thus my planned major. Given that I have a two year degree right now I should be able to finish the curriculum in 3 more years. However I would like to take an extra quarter or two during summer + an extra year to pick up a double major (Math) and hopefully pick up some more research or internship opportunities.

I haven't received all of the info pertaining to my financial aid but from what I've read it probably won't be very generous and I will likely have to take out a substantial loan anyway. Would it be worth it to spend so much time and money on the undergrad level or just finish it in 3 years (would likely still have time for internship)? I would like to eventually (not immediately) go to graduate school for either major (math, chemical engineering or similar) and one motivation for the math major is that I would also like to teach part time at a community college but with a masters in Chemical Engineering or similar I may still be able to teach some classes depending on the individual college and how many other qualified professors they have hired...

Answers and Replies

Both have merits. If you're running up debt, you probably want to finish things up earlier.