1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Taking a power of 2 or power of d

1. Apr 5, 2007 #1
    taking a "power of 2" or "power of d"

i was trying some of the problem in a few of the books i have and on more than one occassion cam across a question that referred to people in a game taking a "power of 2" or "power of d" or whatever. referring to taking counters or equivalent thing, such as moves on a board or whatever (so intergers only).

now, what i was wondering is, naturally, one would assume in [tex]2^{n}[/tex] for a power of 2. n would be a natural number and equal to or bigger than 1. (whats the 'not equal to' sign in latex :S).

however, after doing the problem assuming this, i suddenly wondered if [tex]2^{0} = 1[/tex] counted as a power of 2??

this is cause would cause complications in solving the problem but nothing too problematic.

so, does [tex]2^{0} = 1[/tex] count? Im guessing it does, but just need to check.

also, if the problem doesn't specifically revolve around integers, would an irrational power of 2 still count as a "power of 2"? such as [tex]2^{\frac{3}{2}}[/tex]. I'm guessing it still does, just need to check :D

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 5, 2007 #2
    1 is generally considered a power of 2, but it's sometimes excluded (just like 0 is sometimes excluded from the set of natural numbers). Just disregard it if it creates obvious troubles. Every positive number can be written as a power of 2 to a real number, so it would be meaningless to call [tex]2^{3/2}[/tex] a power of 2.

Not equals is \neq in latex. :) [tex]1\neq 2[/tex]

4. Apr 5, 2007 #3
    thnx dude :D

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook