Taking Calculus III and Real Analysis During Same Semester

In summary: Thanks for all the input though!In summary, it is possible to take both Calculus III and Intro to Real Analysis, but it may be difficult to do so due to the workload.
Cod
Is it wise to take Calculus III and Intro to Real Analysis during the same semester? Or should I complete Calculus III and take Intro to Real Analysis afterwards? I ask because I do not want to stretch myself too thin, because I work over forty hours per week and have a family. If it makes any difference, I earned an 'A' in Calc I & II and will likely earn a 'B' (maybe 'A', depending on final exam in linear algebra; therefore, I have all the pre-reqs for both. I included the course descriptions below:

MATH240 Calculus III: An introduction to multivariable calculus. Exposition covers vectors and vector-valued functions; partial derivatives and applications of partial derivatives (such as tangent planes and Lagrangian multipliers); multiple integrals; volume; surface area; and the classical theorems of Green, Stokes, and Gauss.

MATH301 Intro to Real Analysis: An approach to real analysis. Topics include sequences and series of numbers, continuity and differentiability of real-valued functions of one variable, the Riemann integral, sequences of functions, and power series. Discussion also covers the functions of several variables, including partial derivatives, multiple integrals, line and surface integrals, and the implicit-function theorem.

Any advice / guidance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sounds like it would be rough. The Real Analysis course is going to cover the in depth theory behind what is covered in Calc III and you'll still being trying to learn Calc III at just the basic level. I'd hold off on Real Analysis.

Why don't you ask the Real Analysis professor their opinion?

Real Analysis will be looking at the deeper theory behind what you have learned in Calc II. There's no problem with taking Real Analysis without having first taken Calc III prerequisite knowledge wise, but, I think that if you are trying to work 40 hours a week, and spend time with your family, you may be better served by taking just the Calc III class, since a Real Analysis class is typically quite a bit of work, since it often serves as an introduction to proof based mathematics courses.

Thanks for the words.

ConfusedinMA, the professor for the Real Analysis course has not been "named" yet; however, I took your advice and posed the question to my linear algebra instructor. I'm hoping he'll get back to me in the next day or two.

Jeffasinger, the reason I'm trying to take both courses, is because I may be getting out of the Armed Forces soon and I would have a lot of trouble paying for college out-of-pocket. So the goal right now is to finish my undergrad before seperating, since the government pays $4500 per year of my tuition.

Cod,
Its entirely possible to take both, I was just trying to point out that it would probably be difficult to take both given your schedule constraints that you mentioned. If you're willing to have a difficult semester, then taking both is definitely something to consider.

Since I take most classes online, MATH301 (Real Analysis) is rarely offered online. So I'd like to take advantage of the chance. I may wait to take Calculus III since its offered pretty routinely online.

Thanks again for all the advice.

I think it is a very heavy load to take any two substantive math classes at once. Those look as if they will overlap a bit though, in the area of path and surface integrals at least.

And working 40 hours a week??! and a family?? chheeess...

you do what you have to do. reminds of my grad school days when i got up at 6:30 in the morning, ran 4 miles, then went off to class and to teach. then came back and read to my kids, put them to bed and then studied until 11 or so.

but i didn't work 40 hours too.

Good advice mathwonk. I think I've decided I'm just going to take Real Analysis and another major course (CS).

1. What is the difficulty level of taking Calculus III and Real Analysis together?

It can be quite challenging to take both Calculus III and Real Analysis in the same semester. These courses require a strong foundation in mathematics and a considerable amount of time and effort to understand the concepts. Students should expect to spend a significant amount of time studying and completing assignments for both courses.

2. Are there any benefits to taking these courses together?

Yes, there are some potential benefits to taking Calculus III and Real Analysis in the same semester. These courses cover similar topics and can reinforce each other's concepts. Additionally, taking both courses in one semester can save time and allow students to progress further in their mathematical studies.

3. Is it recommended to have prior knowledge of Calculus III before taking Real Analysis?

It is highly recommended to have a strong understanding of Calculus III before starting Real Analysis. Real Analysis builds upon the concepts learned in Calculus III, such as limits, derivatives, and integrals. Without a solid understanding of these concepts, it can be challenging to grasp the more complex topics in Real Analysis.

4. How should I prepare for taking both Calculus III and Real Analysis in the same semester?

To prepare for taking both courses together, it is essential to have a strong foundation in Calculus I and II. It is also recommended to review the material covered in Calculus III before starting Real Analysis. Additionally, managing your time effectively and seeking help from professors or tutors when needed can also help with success in these courses.

5. What resources are available to help students succeed in taking Calculus III and Real Analysis together?

Most universities offer tutoring services and office hours with professors for students struggling in these courses. Additionally, online resources such as Khan Academy and MIT OpenCourseWare can provide additional explanations and practice problems. It is also helpful to form study groups with classmates to review material and work through problems together.