Taking extra classes after BS but before phD

• Programs
  • Thread starter creepypasta13
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Classes Phd
In summary, the speaker has recently completed a BS in physics and math and is considering applying to physics grad schools. They are interested in theoretical physics, specifically in condensed matter. They are wondering if enrolling in extra classes during the winter quarter would improve their grad school application, and if it would be more productive to work in industry before starting grad school. The speaker is also considering taking classes through an open university or extended education program. They are unsure if these classes would help with their grad school admissions and if they would be beneficial to their research interests. They also inquire about the possibility of earning a second BS in another school after graduation to take more advanced classes.
creepypasta13
I got my BS in physics and math last year, and am considering applying to physics grad schools, looking to do theoretical physics in possibly condensed matter. I just took the core classes but not any physics electives classes, so would it help my grad application if I enrolled in some extra classes this upcoming winter quarter? I could take cosmology, particle physics, and/or group theory, among others. Or perhaps take a grad level course instead? I can take these courses at another university than where I did my undergrad at, since its closer, but would have to pay quite a bit of money. Since I wouldn't get the grades for these until March or so, wouldn't that be after grad admissions are made? Or would I be more productive if I just worked in industry to make some money before grad school.

Physics news on Phys.org
There's a name for this process of taking classes between a BS degree and PhD program. Its called a masters degree. And at most institutions if you're a RA or TA you don't have to pay tuition.

Topher925 said:
There's a name for this process of taking classes between a BS degree and PhD program. Its called a masters degree. And at most institutions if you're a RA or TA you don't have to pay tuition.

yeah I know, but I don't want to get a MS in physics as I would rather take classes now than wait until next year to take them as an MS student. I was just trying to think of something I could do in my time between now and grad school that could improve my application

What you may want is an arrangement called, OPEN UNIVERSITY, or EXTENDED EDUCATION. Regular university admitted students have priority in registering and enrolling, and the courses could be more expensive to attend for you. Check the school of interest and find if it has either a university extension or an open university implementation.

symbolipoint said:
What you may want is an arrangement called, OPEN UNIVERSITY, or EXTENDED EDUCATION. Regular university admitted students have priority in registering and enrolling, and the courses could be more expensive to attend for you. Check the school of interest and find if it has either a university extension or an open university implementation.

yes, that's exactly what I was thinking of. But I wanted to know if enrolling in classes through that would help my grad school admissions that I submit in a few months for the fall 2011 term. If it doesn't, then I may as well keep my money and self-study

with regards to PhD admissions, the biggest question:

do these classes lead you to ask better research questions/answer them?

if you're interested in condensed matter, how would classes in cosmology help you ask/answer better condensed matter question?

flemmyd said:
with regards to PhD admissions, the biggest question:

do these classes lead you to ask better research questions/answer them?

if you're interested in condensed matter, how would classes in cosmology help you ask/answer better condensed matter question?

for now, condensed matter would probably be my main interest. But I was also interested in astrophysics, so that's why I thought about taking the cosmology class. Solid-state physics isn't offered next quarter

i also want to know where can i have a extra year studying after graduation as the courses ivs taken are not so advanced. Can i apply another BS in another school and take all the advanced classes and finish that BS in 1 year by transferring the credits i earn in my old college?

eileen6a said:
i also want to know where can i have a extra year studying after graduation as the courses ivs taken are not so advanced. Can i apply another BS in another school and take all the advanced classes and finish that BS in 1 year by transferring the credits i earn in my old college?

that means i have a BS physics in college A in 2012 and earn another BS physics in college B in 2013?can i?

What are the benefits of taking extra classes after obtaining a BS degree but before pursuing a PhD?

Taking extra classes after a BS degree but before a PhD can provide several benefits. Firstly, it allows you to gain additional knowledge and skills that may not have been covered in your undergraduate degree. This can make you a more well-rounded and competitive candidate for PhD programs and future job opportunities. Additionally, taking extra classes can help you to explore different areas of research and potentially narrow down your interests for your PhD studies. Lastly, it can demonstrate your dedication and commitment to your academic and professional development.

What types of classes should I consider taking after my BS degree?

The types of classes you should consider taking after your BS degree will depend on your specific interests and goals. However, some common options include advanced courses in your field of study, classes in related disciplines that may complement your research interests, and courses in research methods and statistics. You may also want to consider taking classes outside of your field to broaden your knowledge and perspective.

How many extra classes should I take before applying for a PhD program?

The number of extra classes you should take before applying for a PhD program will vary depending on your individual circumstances and goals. Some students may only need a few classes to supplement their undergraduate education, while others may benefit from a more comprehensive course load. It is important to carefully consider your options and consult with academic advisors to determine the best plan for you.

Will taking extra classes after my BS degree delay my PhD studies?

In most cases, taking extra classes after your BS degree should not significantly delay your PhD studies. However, it is important to carefully plan your course schedule and make sure that any classes you take will count towards your PhD program requirements. Additionally, you may want to consider taking some of these classes during the summer or online to minimize potential delays.

Are there any potential drawbacks to taking extra classes before pursuing a PhD?

While there are many potential benefits to taking extra classes after a BS degree, there are also some potential drawbacks to consider. These may include the additional time and financial commitment required, as well as the potential for burnout or overload if you take on too many classes. It is important to carefully weigh these factors and make a decision that is best for your individual circumstances and goals.