Taking PE exam without work experience

In summary, the graduate with a BSME may take the exam and have the license activated when they have acquired the necessary work experience. However, in the state of Nevada, work experience is not required for the PE license.
bigislander72
Graduated with a BSME last year and have not had any luck finding work. I was wondering if it is possible to take the exam and have the license activated when I acquire the neccesary experience? I have also heard that in the state of Nevada, work experience is not required; does anyone know if this is true?

Been working through a lot of practice PE probs and a great majority I remember covering in my undergraduate program. In fact, a lot seem somewhat easy compared to some I have seen. If I can't find a job at the moment, it would be great to tackle this like I did the EIT even if I have to wait to be truly licensed.

Physics news on Phys.org
Check with your state board to find out what is permitted. Take the exam as soon as it it allowed while the material is fresh in mind. This will improve you chances of passing.

You need to study for your PE test? I have always been told PE tests were almost pathetically easy, and that it is the FE that is a cockblock for most people.

Your PE just shows you passed your FE and that you have put in the time.

Starwatcher16 said:
You need to study for your PE test? I have always been told PE tests were almost pathetically easy, and that it is the FE that is a cockblock for most people.

Your PE just shows you passed your FE and that you have put in the time.

Well by the looks of the problems in the practice book, it definitely looks like studying is in order. The FE exam was pretty challenging. In the morning there is the general stuff that all disciplines must take. I felt I did pretty well in that part. Then comes the afternoon section for which a displine is chosen, but it doesn't matter which one. This is why I chose "general engineering" vs. "mechanical engineering" because I was told it was easier. I think I made the wrong choice because there were some statistics, chemistry end economics problems that threw me off; I didn't have a clue. Thought that maybe I didn't pass, but I did.

With the PE the "general" in the morning is still discipline specific, and the afternoon concentration is one several subsets in that particular discipline.

When I said that it seems a lot of problems were covered and were some of the more elementary problems in the related classes, well this is true in my opinion. However to know how to do all the problems off the top of ones head without much hesitation is still pretty impressive and should require a bit of preparation. I don't think it will be too easy.

1. Can I take the PE exam without any work experience?

Yes, in most cases you can take the PE exam without any work experience. Each state has its own requirements for taking the exam, so it is important to check with your state's licensing board for specific guidelines.

2. Do I need work experience to become a licensed engineer?

Yes, typically work experience is a requirement for becoming a licensed engineer. Most states require a certain number of years of supervised work experience in order to qualify for the PE exam. However, some states may offer alternate paths for those who do not have work experience.

3. Can I take the PE exam with only a degree and no work experience?

It is possible to take the PE exam with only a degree and no work experience, but it ultimately depends on your state's requirements. Some states may allow recent graduates with no work experience to take the exam, while others may require a certain amount of work experience before being eligible.

4. Is it better to take the PE exam with or without work experience?

There is no right or wrong answer to this question. Some people may prefer to take the exam while their knowledge is still fresh from their education, while others may want to gain more experience in the field before taking the exam. Ultimately, it is up to the individual to decide when they feel prepared to take the exam.

5. Can I use work experience from a different field to qualify for the PE exam?

It is possible to use work experience from a different field to qualify for the PE exam, but it ultimately depends on your state's requirements. Some states may allow a certain percentage of work experience from a related field, while others may require all work experience to be directly related to the engineering discipline you are seeking licensure in.