Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Taking second derivative of a derivative

1. Jul 5, 2010 #1
    Hello--

I'm in the process of implementing a PML for FDTD modeling.

I would like to take the derivative of the partial derivative shown below, but I am uncertain with respect to how I might proceed.

[tex]
    \[
    \frac{\partial }{{\partial x}} \to \frac{1}{{1 + \frac{{i\sigma \left( x \right)}}{\omega }}}\frac{\partial }{{\partial x}}
    \]
    [/tex]

Essentially what I would like to do is take the derivative of a partial derivative, and also deal with the [tex]\[{i\sigma \left( x \right)}\] [/tex] term, which is a function of position [tex]x[/tex].

This would result in the calculation of [tex] \[\frac{{\partial ^2 }}{{\partial x^2 }}\][/tex]

Last edited: Jul 5, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 5, 2010 #2
    Perhaps this would be the way to take the second derivative :

[tex]
    \[
    \frac{{\partial ^2 }}{{\partial x^2 }} \to -\left( {1 + \frac{{i\sigma \left( x \right)}}{\omega }} \right)^{ - 2} \left( {\frac{{\partial \sigma \left( x \right)}}{{\partial x}}\frac{i}{\omega }} \right)\frac{\partial }{{\partial x}} + \frac{{\partial ^2 }}{{\partial x^2 }}\left( {1 + \frac{{i\sigma \left( x \right)}}{\omega }} \right)^{ - 1}
    \]

[/tex]

4. Jul 5, 2010 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Use the product rule:
    [tex]\frac{\partial }{\partial x}\left((1+ \frac{i\sigma}{\omega})^{-1}[/tex][tex]\frac{\partial y}{\partial x}\right)[/tex][tex]= \frac{\partial (1+ \frac{i\sigma}{\omega})^{-1}}{\partial y}{\partial x}[/tex][tex]+ (1+ \frac{i\sigma}{\omega})^{-1}\frac{\partial^2 y}{\partial x^2}[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook