Taking the derivative of position to get velocity

In summary, the problem asks for the speed at a particular time. The correct answer is 2.8 m/s. Velocity is a vector quantity, so, since the answer doesn't include any unit vectors, I suppose the problem asks for the speed. But we would need a given instant of time to get the numeric solution.
heartshapedbox

Homework Statement

The problem is hopefully attached, I had to take a screen shot.

Homework Equations

I understand the process of taking the derivative of position to get velocity.
*refer to derivative rules... for example r(x)=2x^2-6x+8 therefore r`(x)=4x-6

The Attempt at a Solution

I am stuck with what to do with the "1/s"

The correct answer is 2.8m/s

Thank you so much in advance.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-02-12 at 8.52.03 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-02-12 at 8.52.03 PM.png
    18 KB · Views: 497
Physics news on Phys.org
I think the 1/s terms are just a confusing way of showing that the constant (0.74) has units of s-1.

Likes heartshapedbox and gracy
I may be wrong but here is what I think - To take cosine, sine etc. you need to have an angle. Clearly it is changing in the equation -as shown- with time. say at time equals to one second - (notice that second in denominator and that of time are going to vanish with each other) - the angle is equals to 0.74 (degrees/ rads/ sterdians etc.) But I need to know what is - m- and also speed is not constant - you must have been asked to find speed(*read velocity) at a particular time.

Umrao said:
the angle is equals to 0.74 (degrees/ rads/ sterdians etc.)
No, the .74 is a rate, radians per second, but radians are considered dimensionless, so it can be written as just s-1.

Likes Umrao
It's the unit. Notice the m is also there, standing for "meters". But if you take the derivative you'll get an expression that still depends on "t", so I don't see how one could end up with 2.8 m/s. Velocity is a vector quantity, so, since the answer doesn't include any unit vectors, I suppose the problem asks for the speed. But we would need a given instant of time to get the numeric solution.

heartshapedbox said:

Homework Statement

The problem is hopefully attached, I had to take a screen shot

Homework Equations

I understand the process of taking the derivative of position to get velocity.
There's the beginning of your problem! Velocity is the derivative with respect to time
Assuming r(t) has units of "meters" then the derivative, which is the limit of the "difference quotient" has units of "meters per time" as velocity should.

*refer to derivative rules... for example r(x)=2x^2-6x+8 therefore r`(x)=4x-6

The Attempt at a Solution

I am stuck with what to do with the "1/s"

The correct answer is 2.8m/s

Thank you so much in advance.

Likes heartshapedbox
HallsofIvy said:
There's the beginning of your problem! Velocity is the derivative with respect to time
i see no evidence that hsb was trying to do otherwise, nor for any issue over units.

What I'm not seeing is at which point in time you're supposed to calculate the velocity... The velocity changes with time, and without knowing when to 'measure' it, we can't find a numerical answer, just the formula

Thank you everyone for your help.
When I take the derivative of the position vector I get:

(-sin(0.74t)0.74)+(cos(0.74t)0.74)
Then say at time 1.5, where the answer should equal 2.8m/s I get

(-sin(0.74x1.5)0.74)+(cos(0.74x1.5)0.74)

which equals
-0.014+0.7397
=0.7257

Where am I messing up?

You are messing up in two ways. You are omitting the 3 m and the 6 m coefficients. And the i and j represent unit vectors in the x and y directions. So both the displacement and the velocity have x and y components. To get the magnitude of the velocity, you need to consider the vector sum of the two components (using the Pythagorean theorem).

Likes heartshapedbox
Thank you Chester. I'm STILL stuck though ahah :(

new attempt:

(3)(-sin(0.74t)0.74)+(0)(cos(0.74t)+(6)(cos(0.74t)0.74)+(0)(sin0.74t)
=(3)(-sin(0.74t)0.74)+(6)(cos(0.74t)0.74)
=(3)(-sin(0.74x1.5)0.74)+(6)(cos(0.74x1.5)0.74)
=-0.04+4.44

then, velocity= sqrt(-0.04^2+4.44^2)

I am getting 4.4...not 2.8...

I am so sorry for the trouble ahah

I get -1.988 i + 1.974 j. That gives 2.8 m/s for v. Are you sure you used radians, and not degrees?

Likes heartshapedbox
oh man...how embarrassing ahaha, that's what I was doing. :( Thank you so very much for your help! This is quite clear now. :) Have a great day! :D Thank you!

1. What is the concept of taking the derivative of position to get velocity?

The derivative of position with respect to time is the rate of change of position over time, which gives us the velocity of an object. It tells us how fast an object is moving and in which direction.

2. Why do we need to take the derivative of position to get velocity?

If we want to know the velocity of an object at a specific point in time, we need to take the derivative of its position. This is because velocity is defined as the rate of change of position, and the derivative is a mathematical tool used to calculate this rate of change.

3. How is the derivative of position calculated?

The derivative of position is calculated by finding the slope of the position-time graph at a specific point. This can be done using the formula: velocity = change in position/change in time. Alternatively, the derivative can also be calculated using calculus techniques such as the power rule or chain rule.

4. Can we take the derivative of any position function to get velocity?

Yes, we can take the derivative of any position function to get velocity. This is because the derivative is a general mathematical concept that can be applied to any function, including position functions. However, the function must be continuous and differentiable for the derivative to exist.

5. How does taking the derivative of position help us understand motion?

Taking the derivative of position to get velocity helps us understand motion by giving us information about the speed and direction of an object's movement. It allows us to analyze and predict the behavior of moving objects, such as determining when an object is speeding up or slowing down, and calculating the acceleration of an object.