1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tangent of a graph

1. Feb 15, 2007 #1

disregardthat

Science Advisor

Is is possible to calculate the growth-rate to a tangent in a graph? (like f(x)=x^2

I only know how to draw the line on the graph, but how do you calculate it if you know the point where you must draw the tangent?

For example: find the tangent of the point x=2 on a graph f(x)=x^2

How do you find the rate of growth?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 15, 2007 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This is one of the first things you learn about in elementary calculus. The tangent (slope) at a point on a curve is given by the first derivative at that point.

4. Feb 15, 2007 #3

disregardthat

Science Advisor

I have only had one class in calculus, and we learned the average rate of change. Then we got two points in a graph, and calculated the average slope. I know what a tangent of a graph is, and I have managed to sort out the somewhat accurate answer with only drawing the line, but I don't know how to calculate it.

And what is a derivative? Is a derivative the average slope for two points of the x-axis on a graph?

5. Feb 15, 2007 #4
    Your are talking about the whole limiting process that the derivative is. You will eventually learn how to calculate the slope of the tangent with analytical methods if you follow a calculus course.

6. Feb 15, 2007 #5

disregardthat

Science Advisor

Man!

:tongue2:

7. Feb 16, 2007 #6
    The slope here for x=2 is 4.If you take the derivative of f(x)=x^2,you get dy/dx=2x

now substitute the value of x and you get the slope!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?