Tangent Plane Perpendicular to Vector <1,0,2> on x^2+y^2-z^2=-1 Surface

In summary, to find all points on the surface x^2+y^2-z^2=-1 where the tangent plane is perpendicular to the vector <1,0,2>, the gradient of the surface must be parallel to the given vector. This means that the coefficients of the gradient vector must be multiples of the given vector. By solving for these coefficients, we can find the values of x, y, and z that satisfy the given conditions.
Loppyfoot

Homework Statement

Find all the points on the surface x^2+y^2-z^2=-1 where the tangent plane is perpendicular to the vector <1,0,2>.

I'm confused!

The Attempt at a Solution

So, the gradient would be: <2x,2y,-2z>, but what do I do with the gradient vector to find these points?

thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Loppyfoot said:

Homework Statement

Find all the points on the surface x^2+y^2-z^2=-1 where the tangent plane is perpendicular to the vector <1,0,2>.

I'm confused!

The Attempt at a Solution

So, the gradient would be: <2x,2y,-2z>, but what do I do with the gradient vector to find these points?
At a given point on the surface, the gradient is perpendicular to the tangent plane at that surface. Does that give you any ideas?

Yes I understand that point. I'm confused on how to computationally solve this problem.

Any thoughts?

What does that tell you about the relationship between (2x, 2y, -2z) and (1,0,2)

So <2x,2y,-2z> dotted with <1,0,2> = 0

Ok, So if I do the dot product, I get:

2x-4z = 0 . So , x=2z. If I plug that into the original equation, I get:

4z^2 + y^2 -z^2 = -1 . Should I solve for y in terms of z?

No, you have that completely backwards! [itex]\nabla f[/itex]= < 2x, 2y, -2z> is itself normal to the tangent plane. You want <2x, 2y, -2z> to be parallel to < 1, 0, 2>. You are solving for a vector perpendicular to <1, 0, 2>.

Two vectors are parallel if and only if one is a multiple of the other: <2x, 2y, -2z>= <a, 0, 2a> for some number a.

Ok, Now I understand. So I should solve for k first:

2x= k ; 2y=0 ; -2z=2k .

So x = k/2 and z=-k. If I substitute those back into the original equation, I get

k^2/4+ y^2-k^2 = -1. But I have two variables. Should I have set the y=0 so I can solve for k?

any ideas?

Loppyfoot said:
Ok, Now I understand. So I should solve for k first:

2x= k ; 2y=0 ; -2z=2k .
You're not solving for k; you're solving for x, y, and z.
Loppyfoot said:
So x = k/2 and z=-k.
Don't forget y = 0.

Loppyfoot said:
If I substitute those back into the original equation, I get

k^2/4+ y^2-k^2 = -1. But I have two variables. Should I have set the y=0 so I can solve for k?
Yes.

1. What is a tangent plane?

A tangent plane is a flat surface that touches a curved surface at only one point. It is used in calculus to approximate the slope of a curve at a specific point.

2. How is the equation of a tangent plane calculated?

The equation of a tangent plane is calculated by finding the partial derivatives of a function at a specific point. These derivatives represent the slope of the tangent line in the x and y directions, which can then be used to create the equation of the tangent plane.

3. What is the purpose of finding the tangent plane?

The tangent plane allows us to approximate the behavior of a curved surface at a specific point. This is useful in many fields of science, such as physics and engineering, where understanding the slope of a curve is necessary for predicting the behavior of a system.

4. Can a tangent plane be used to find the maximum or minimum point of a function?

Yes, a tangent plane can be used to find the maximum or minimum point of a function by setting the partial derivatives equal to zero and solving for the variables. This will give the coordinates of the critical point, which can then be used to determine whether it is a maximum or minimum.

5. How is the tangent plane related to the concept of the normal vector?

The normal vector of a tangent plane is perpendicular to the plane and represents the direction of steepest ascent. This means that the normal vector is parallel to the gradient vector, which is used to find the direction of maximum increase of a function. Therefore, the tangent plane and normal vector are closely related concepts in calculus.