1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lagrange optimization: cylinder and plane intersects,

1. Apr 17, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The cylinder x^2 + y^2 = 1 intersects the plane x + z = 1 in an ellipse. Find the point on the ellipse furthest from the origin.

2. Relevant equations

$f(x) = x^2 + y^2 + z^2$

$h(x) = x^2 + y^2 = 1$

$g(x) = x + z = 1$

3. The attempt at a solution

$\langle 2x, 2y, 2z \rangle = \lambda\langle2x, 2y,0\rangle + \mu\langle1,0,1\rangle$

This results in the equations:

$2x = 2x\lambda + \mu$

$2y = 2y\lambda$

$2z = \mu$

Then $\lambda = 1$, then $2x = 2x + \mu$, then $0 = \mu$, so then $z = 0$.

Then $x + z = 1$, so $x = 1$.

And then $1^2 + y^2 = 1$, so $y = 0$, so then I conclude that the point where this ellipse is furthest from the origin is $(1,0,0)$.

This is wrong. The answer should be $(-1,0,2)$

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2016 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You'll have a much better chance of replies if you fix up the Latex. You need to double the dollar signs, or if you don't want an equation on a line by itself replace the dollar sign with a double hash(#).

4. Apr 18, 2016 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The equation ##2y = 2y \lambda## implies either ##\lambda = 1## or ##y = 0##.

Note how my LaTeX comes out properly, unlike yours. That is because I used "# # ... # #", but with no space between the two #'s at the start and the end. Had I used $...$ instead it would have come out a mess, like yours. LaTeX/TeX works a bit differently on this Forum than it does in native form.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted