Tangent spaces at different points

In summary, determining if two given points on a manifold have the same tangent space requires checking if a vector does not change when transported from one point to the other. This is because on a manifold, the points are isomorphic but not equal, and the concept of "equal" is not well-defined. However, on a parallelizable manifold, the tangent bundle is locally trivial and all tangent spaces can be considered the same. A parallelizable manifold is also an orientable 3-manifold. To define a trivialization, one must choose a global coordinate system and an isomorphism of the tangent space at the origin with R^n. In the case of complex manifolds, any complex analytic isomorphism defines the group structure uniquely
kent davidge
How do you know if two given points on a manifold have the same tangent space? Checking if a vector does not change when transported from one point to the other is enough?

Physics news on Phys.org
kent davidge said:
How do you know if two given points on a manifold have the same tangent space? Checking if a vector does not change when transported from one point to the other is enough?
What do you mean by the same? They cannot be the same at different points. They are isomorphic, as e.g. on a n-manifold they both are isomorphic to ##\mathbb{R}^n##. So again, what is supposed to mean "equal"?

fresh_42 said:
They cannot be the same at different points. They are isomorphic, as e.g. on a n-manifold they both are isomorphic to ##\mathbb{R}^n##
oh that makes sense
fresh_42 said:
What do you mean by the same? So again, what is supposed to mean "equal"?
I mean, if we consider the m-dimensional manifold to be ##\mathbb{R}^m## itself, we can find a (global) coordinate system where the basis don't change, namely a Cartesian coordinate system. In that coordinate system, a vector (not a vector field, so constant components) will not change at all if we move from one point to another. That's what we usually do geometrically when we e.g. drag the arrows around in the plane, right?

Now for me it seems unecessary to continue saying that the points in ##\mathbb{R}^m## have different tangent spaces, as we can do what I just described above. From this follows my question in post #1, if checking the constancy of a vector is a sufficient condition.

They are never the same so that is easy ...

##\mathbb R^n## has the special property of being an affine space.

Likes kent davidge and lavinia
kent davidge said:
oh that makes sense

I mean, if we consider the m-dimensional manifold to be ##\mathbb{R}^m## itself, we can find a (global) coordinate system where the basis don't change, namely a Cartesian coordinate system. In that coordinate system, a vector (not a vector field, so constant components) will not change at all if we move from one point to another. That's what we usually do geometrically when we e.g. drag the arrows around in the plane, right?

Now for me it seems unecessary to continue saying that the points in ##\mathbb{R}^m## have different tangent spaces, as we can do what I just described above. From this follows my question in post #1, if checking the constancy of a vector is a sufficient condition.
Just to add that this motivates the concept of connections, which, well, connect tangent spaces at different points. In euclidean n-space, the isomorphism is natural, but not so in general manifolds.

Likes kent davidge
the tangent bundle is locally trivial, i.e. locally has the form MxV, where V is a vector space. In the rare case where the tangent bundle is actually a product globally, the manifold is called "parallelizable". One example of a parallelizable manifold is a manifold that is also a group, such as R^n or a torus, i.e. a manifold isomorphic to R^n/lattice. In the parallelizable case one can consider all tangent spaces as being the same, since there is a natural isomorphism from anyone of them to any other, namely translation by an element of the group. This occurs of course in R^n.

Even if the manifold is parallelizable, one must choose a global trivialization, and until this is done there is no natural isomorphism from one tangent space to another. The case of a group however is special in this regard, since the group operation gives the isomorphism. However even in this case one must be given the group structure to define the isomorphisms. I.e. just because a manifold is smoothly isomorphic to a group does not yet specify the group operation, since not every smooth isomorphism of a group manifold is a group isomorphism. Thus even if one knows ones manifold is smoothly isomorphic to R^n, one does not have a global trivialization of the tangent bundle until one chooses a global coordinate system. I.e. it is not enough to know such a global coordinate system exists, since many different ones exist, and they usually define different trivializations.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallelizable_manifold

This link mentions the interesting fact that all orientable 3 manifolds are parallelizable!

Oh yes, and one must be careful about the meaning of a "trivialization". If one means it in the sense of the wikipedia link, i.e. an isomorphism of the tangent bundle of M with the product MxR^n, even a group structure is not quite enough. I.e. the group structure gives an isomorphism of the tangent bundle with MxV where V is the tangent space at the origin. To get an isomorphism with MxR^n, one must still choose an isomorphism of the tangent space at the origin with R^n, i.e. one must choose a basis for V. But just the group structure is already enough to identify any two tangent spaces with each other, although not with R^n.

As already pointed out by Orodruin, actually a bit less than a group structure is sufficient to identify any two tangent spaces. I.e. in the case of R^n one only needs its structure as an affine space, i.e. one only needs the ("faithful", i.e. without fixed points) action of a group on the space by translation, one does not need to know where the origin is in the space itself. But one does need two points to be joined by a unique translation.

The case of complex manifolds is somewhat more special, since I believe that any complex analytic isomorphism of a complex manifold with a group manifold of form C^n/lattice, actually defines the group structure uniquely up to translation; i.e. any complex analytic isomorphism of C^n/lattice with itself is a group automorphism plus a (possibly trivial) translation.

Last edited:
Likes kent davidge and WWGD
I would think that for any affine connection with zero holonomy on a vector bundle, parallel translation determines when two vectors at different points are the same.

One thinks of parallel translation as a way to compare vectors at different points on a manifold. In general, the comparison is path dependent. With zero holonomy it is not. Not every vector bundle has a connection with zero holonomy.

Last edited:

1. What is a tangent space at a particular point?

A tangent space at a point is a mathematical concept that describes all possible directions or velocities that a curve or surface can have at that point. It is a vector space that is tangent to the curve or surface at that point.

2. How is a tangent space at a point different from a tangent space at a different point?

A tangent space at a point is specific to that point and describes all possible directions or velocities at that point. A tangent space at a different point would describe all possible directions or velocities at that different point, which may be different from the first point.

3. Why are tangent spaces at different points important?

Tangent spaces at different points are important because they allow us to analyze the behavior of a curve or surface at different points. They also help us understand the local geometry of a curve or surface, which is crucial in many areas of mathematics and physics.

4. How are tangent spaces at different points related?

Tangent spaces at different points are related through the concept of differentiability. If a curve or surface is differentiable at a point, then the tangent spaces at nearby points will be similar. As the points get closer together, the tangent spaces will become more and more similar.

5. Can the dimension of a tangent space at a point be different from the dimension of a tangent space at a different point?

Yes, the dimension of a tangent space at a point can be different from the dimension of a tangent space at a different point. The dimension of a tangent space depends on the dimension of the original space and the number of independent variables needed to describe the curve or surface at that point. Two points on a curve or surface may require different numbers of variables, resulting in different dimensions for the tangent spaces at those points.