1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tangential and radial acceleration

1. Apr 17, 2012 #1
    Hey

I have an accelerated circular motion problem.

I have only the position equation, from which I derived the velocity and acceleration.

how can I tell what is the tangential acceleration and what is the radial acceleration?

If you could point me towards a source to read about the subject, it would be great.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2012 #2
    The tangential is the usual position, velocity or acceleration. The radial is called the angular postition,velocity or acceleration
    So they are connected by
    [itex] v = \omega * r , a = r*\alpha[/itex]

4. Apr 18, 2012 #3
    Let's see if I understand, here's an example:

I have:
    [itex]a= -40\pi [ \sin (2\pi t^2 - \frac{\pi}{3}) + 4\pi t^2 \cos (2\pi t^2 - \frac{\pi}{3})] \hat{i} + 40\pi [\cos (2\pi t^2 - \frac{\pi}{3})- t^2 \sin (2\pi t^2 - \frac{\pi}{3})] \hat{j}
    [/itex]

(I derived it from [itex] r= 10 \cos (2\pi t^2 - \frac{\pi}{3}) \hat{i} + 10\sin (2\pi t^2 - \frac{\pi}{3}) \hat{j}[/itex] )

I was asked to determine what is the acceleration without direction at [itex]t=\sqrt{2}[/itex]

and also the tangential and radial acceleration.

so I just plugged it in, and got about 483.5 m/s^2

so by what you say, [itex]\sqrt{a^2 + (\frac{a}{R})^2} = 483.5 [/itex] ?

edit: I looked in wikipedia under Non-uniform circular motion, I understand now - the value I got was for the tangential acceleration, the radial is simply [itex]\frac{v^2}{R}[/itex] I don't know why I thought it's only true for Uniform circular motion

Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook