Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Taxonomy, can you name the bird from its song?

1. Feb 14, 2012 #1

fluidistic

Gold Member

In many documentals on the Amazonian rainforest I can hear a bird' song but I don't think they ever showed it nor named it.
    In the following video you can skip up to minute 1:54 to listen to the bird. Apparently it is on the video, but I can't see it well at all.
    Do you have an idea about what bird is it?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 14, 2012 #2
    I'm guessing that it's the warbling finch ... perhaps the most musical of all animals except for the pygmy hippo and certain trained hummingbirds. Nice wind flute stuff in the video. Of course there is the ever present possibility of kidnapping by rebels. Why do all of those countries have rebels? What, exactly, are they rebelling against? And why do they kidnap people? Oh, ok, for the money.

4. Feb 14, 2012 #3

fluidistic

Gold Member

After trying to watch some videos about the warbling finch, I do not think this is it.
    I've searched more and found out the bird. It is named around second 43 in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tkrPZrOsHs&feature=related. My English is too weak to understand what the name is.
    Can someone write this name?

Edit: I hear "this is a clay srival, a screaming pee ar". Must be quite far from the real name.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  5. Feb 14, 2012 #4
    Screaming Piha. I think.

6. Feb 14, 2012 #5

fluidistic

Gold Member

That is it, without any doubt! Thanks a million :)

7. Feb 14, 2012 #6
    No problem. By the way, what is your native language?

8. Feb 14, 2012 #7

fluidistic

Gold Member

French.

9. Feb 14, 2012 #8
    Cool. I love French. I read it better than German. But for some reason spoken German is easier for me to follow.

EDIT: Are you the French Canadian person? If so, please excuse me. I'm getting old, and I forget stuff.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook