Taxonomy, can you name the bird from its song?

  • Thread starter Thread starter fluidistic
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Bird
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 3K views
fluidistic
Gold Member
Messages
3,934
Reaction score
286
In many documentals on the Amazonian rainforest I can hear a bird' song but I don't think they ever showed it nor named it.
In the following video you can skip up to minute 1:54 to listen to the bird. Apparently it is on the video, but I can't see it well at all.
Do you have an idea about what bird is it?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org
I'm guessing that it's the warbling finch ... perhaps the most musical of all animals except for the pygmy hippo and certain trained hummingbirds. Nice wind flute stuff in the video. Of course there is the ever present possibility of kidnapping by rebels. Why do all of those countries have rebels? What, exactly, are they rebelling against? And why do they kidnap people? Oh, ok, for the money.
 
ThomasT said:
I'm guessing that it's the warbling finch ... perhaps the most musical of all animals except for the pygmy hippo and certain trained hummingbirds. Nice wind flute stuff in the video. Of course there is the ever present possibility of kidnapping by rebels. Why do all of those countries have rebels? What, exactly, are they rebelling against? And why do they kidnap people? Oh, ok, for the money.

After trying to watch some videos about the warbling finch, I do not think this is it.
I've searched more and found out the bird. It is named around second 43 in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tkrPZrOsHs&feature=related. My English is too weak to understand what the name is.
Can someone write this name?

Edit: I hear "this is a clay srival, a screaming pee ar". Must be quite far from the real name.
 
Last edited:
fluidistic said:
After trying to watch some videos about the warbling finch, I do not think this is it.
I've searched more and found out the bird. It is named around second 43 in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tkrPZrOsHs&feature=related. My English is too weak to understand what the name is.
Can someone write this name?
Screaming Piha. I think.
 
ThomasT said:
Screaming Piha. I think.

That is it, without any doubt! Thanks a million :)
 
fluidistic said:
That is it, without any doubt! Thanks a million :)
No problem. By the way, what is your native language?
 
fluidistic said:
French.
Cool. I love French. I read it better than German. But for some reason spoken German is easier for me to follow.

EDIT: Are you the French Canadian person? If so, please excuse me. I'm getting old, and I forget stuff.