1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Taylor mechanics chap3,problem 4

1. Oct 8, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    two man,each of equal mass m,are standing at one end of a stationary railroad flatcar with frictionless wheel and mass mcar.Find the car's speed if the two men run to the other end of the car and jump off simultaneously with the same speed u(relative to the car)
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    let vh be the men's speed relative to the ground at the instant they jump off the car.Thus
    u= vh+vcar.Since the momentum of the system is conservative,2mvh=mcarvcar

After solving the equations,i got (2mu)/(2m+mcar) ,but i found a different answer from mine on the website http://chriskranenberg.wix.com/taylor-mechanics-solutions.I want to make sure which one is right

Last edited: Oct 8, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 8, 2016 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Your notation is strange. What is, for example, [m][/h] meant to convey?

You'll need to show the details of your own solution, how you arrived at your result. Helpers won't just confirm or deny a given solution for you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted