1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Maximum potential energy after collision

Tags:
  1. Jan 3, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: A ball a, moving with kinetic energy E, makes a head on elastic collision with a stationary ball with mass n times that of A. The maximum potential energy stored in the system during the collision is
    a)nE/(n+1)
    b)(n+1)E/n
    c)(n-1)E/n
    d)E/n

2. Relevant equations:Principle of Conservation of mechanical energy(PCME) and principle of conservation of linear momentum(PCLM)

3. The attempt at a solution: I have done the sum and my answer matches correctly...I just want to confirm if my concept is correct.
    Just at the instant when potential energy of the system is maximum, the two balls are moving with equal velocities(just at that instant).
    So from PCLM

mu=m(n+1)V
    where u=initial velocity
    V=the common velocity

Now since the collision is elastic, we can conserve ME.
    so

1/2mu2=1/2m(n+1)V2+ U
    where U= P.E
    Also
    E=1/2mu2
    so from the two equations above....I got
    U = En/(n+1)
    I just want to assure if my concept is correct
    Sorry if the thread is a duplicate one...or if I've made any grammatical error...
    Thanks for the help

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 3, 2017 #2

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Looks good to me.

You could also consider using the centre of momentum reference frame, which might offer a neat alternative approach.

4. Jan 3, 2017 #3
    Thanks for your help

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted