1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Taylor Polynomial Approximation of log(2.25)

1. Mar 24, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Determine the order two Taylor polynomial, p2(x, y), for

f(x, y) = log e (1 + x2 + y4)

about point (0, 1)

ANSWER:
    loge (2) + 2y - 2 + [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex] [ x2 - 2y2 + 4y - 2 ]

Managed that question and should be correct. If not, do let me know =)

Part 2: Using p2 (x, y), find a quadratic approximation to log e (2.25) to 4 decimal places. Use a calculator to find the value of log e (2.25) to 4 decimal places, and comment on your answer.

2. Relevant equations

2nd Order Taylor Polynomial
    p2(x, y) = f(x, y) + (x + a)[tex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}[/tex] + (y + b)[tex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial y}[/tex] + [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex] [ (x - a)2[tex]\frac{\partial ^2 f}{\partial x^2}[/tex] + (x - a)(y - b)[tex]\frac{\partial ^2 f}{\partial x\partial y}[/tex] + (y - b)2[tex]\frac{\partial ^2 f}{\partial y ^2}[/tex] ]

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm not too sure where to go from there...I thought of putting p2(x, y) as log 2 (2.25) but I'm not sure what that does after simplifying...

Any assistance would be of much help! =)
    Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 24, 2010 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You got the sign of fyy wrong.
    What do you mean by "putting p2(x, y) as log 2 (2.25)"?

Just choose values of x and y so that f(x,y)=log 2.25 and plug those values into your expansion.

4. Mar 24, 2010 #3
    I got fyy = -2

This was from fyy = [tex]\frac{12y^2( 1 + x^2 + y^4 ) - 16y^2}{(1 + x^2 + y^4 ) ^2}[/tex]

and since at point (0,1),

fyy = [tex]\frac{12 (1)^2( 1 + (0)^2 + (1)^4 ) - 16 (1)^2}{(1 + (0)^2 + (1)^4 ) ^2}[/tex]
    fyy = -2

Isn't it? Unless I stuffed up the Taylor polynomial part somewhere...

Oh, when I meant putting p2(x, y) as log e (2.25) [correction], I meant like:

loge(2.25) = loge (2) + 2y - 2 + [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex] [ x2 - 2y2 + 4y - 2 ]

But yeah..got me no where =(

I don't understand how I can choose values for x and y because how can we figure out what is loge (2.25) from something like loge (2) + constant. Seeing that we just choose values for x and y...unless there's the use of a calculator. Could you help shed some light on this? Thanks =)

5. Mar 24, 2010 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

You have f(x, y) = ln (1 + x2 + y4),
    so f(0, 1) = ln(1 + 02 + 12) = ln 2

You want ln 2.25, which can be represented as f(.5, 1). Use the polynomial you found to approximate f(.5, 1) by p2(.5, 1).

6. Mar 24, 2010 #5

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

No, the top is 12x2-16 = 24-16 = 8, and the bottom is 4.
    The base of the log didn't confuse me; I figured that was a typo. It was your wording, particularly your choice of verb.

7. Mar 24, 2010 #6
    Oh sorry. What would have been a better choice of verb?

Thanks a lot guys, I believe I managed to get it now.

Worked it out to be loge (2) + [tex]\frac{1}{8}[/tex] = 0.8181

Hopefully that's right =)

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook