Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Taylor Series Expansion About a Local Minimum

1. Jun 25, 2014 #1
    Hello everyone,

I am currently reading chapter two, section 3 of Griffiths Quantum Mechanics textbook. Here is an excerpt that is giving me some difficulty:

"Formally, if we expand V(x) in a Taylor series about the minimum:

[itex]V(x) = V(x_0) + V'(x_0) (x-x_0) + \frac{1}{2} V''(x_0)(x-x_0)^2[/itex]

subtract [itex]V(x_0)[/itex] (you can add a constant to V(x) with impunity, since that doesn't change the force),..."

Okay, I understand that is does not change the force field for which V(x) is a potential energy, but doesn't it change the potential energy function itself? If I recall correctly, I have seen other authors simply define the zero point of the potential energy function to be at the minimum, which seems to be a better argument to me, as the potential energy is a relative quantity, depending upon the reference frame, unlike, say, distance.

Could someone please help me understand this excerpt. Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 25, 2014 #2

UltrafastPED

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's exactly what Griffiths is doing - only the expression is informal. In this case he is focused on the force, so the choice of constant is irrelevant - it will vanish when the gradient is taken.

4. Jun 25, 2014 #3
    Which expression is informal, the one Griffiths used, or the one other authors use?

5. Jun 25, 2014 #4

UltrafastPED

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Griffith's statement ... he refers to the physics, and leaves out the mathematical reasoning. "Informal" in the mathematical sense that the details are not presented ...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook