Taylor Expansion for very small and very big arguments

deuteron
Homework Statement
Expand the given functions for very small and very big arguments ##x## giving ##3## terms
Relevant Equations
##T_nf[x;a]= \displaystyle\sum_k \frac 1 {k!}\ f^{(k)}|_a\ (x-a)^k##
The function is
$$ f(x)=\sqrt{1-x}$$

and we are expected to expand it using Taylor expansion for very small ##(x<<1)## and very big ##(x>>1)## arguments

My thought process was the following:

$$T_2f[x;x_0]=\sqrt{1-x_0} -\frac 12 \frac 1{\sqrt{1-x_0}}(x-x_0) -\frac 14 \frac 1 {\sqrt{1-x_0}^3}(x-x_0)^2$$

and then assuming small arguments, namely assuming ##x_0<<1##, I did the following approximation:

$$ T_2f[x;x_0]\approx \sqrt{1} -\frac 12 \frac 1 {\sqrt{1}} (x) -\frac 1 4 \frac 1 {\sqrt{1}^3} (x)^2 = 1-\frac 12 x -\frac 14 x^2$$

For big arguments, I assumed ##x_0>>1## and made the following approximation:

$$T_2f[x;x_0]\approx i\sqrt{a} +\frac 12 \frac 1 {i\sqrt{a}} (a) +\frac 14 \frac 1 {i\sqrt{a}^3} a^2$$

However, the real answers are, for small arguments:

$$f(x<<1)= 1-\frac 12 x - \frac 18 x^2$$

and for big arguments:

$$f(x>>1)= i\sqrt{a} \sqrt{1-\frac 1x} = i\sqrt{x} \ (1-\frac 1 {2x} -\frac 1{8x^2})$$

I see that my mistake is to assume the expansion point to be very big instead of assuming big ##x##, but I don't know how to do that, does anyone understand the in between steps for the solution?

Physics news on Phys.org
Use the binomial expansion: [tex]
(1 + x)^{\alpha} = 1 + \alpha x + \frac{\alpha(\alpha - 1)}{2!}x^2 + \dots + \frac{\alpha(\alpha - 1) \cdots (\alpha - n + 1)}{n!}x^n + \dots,\qquad |x| < 1.[/tex] For small [itex]|x|[/itex], [tex]
f(x) = (1 - x)^{1/2}[/tex] can be expanded as is. A Taylor series of [itex]x^{1/2}[/itex] about [itex]1[/itex] should also yield the same result, bearing in mind that we are looking at [itex](1 - x)^{1/2}[/itex] not [itex](1 + x)^{1/2}[/itex]. For large negative [itex]x[/itex], [tex](1 - x)^{1/2} = (1 + |x|)^{1/2} = |x|^{1/2}(1 + |x|^{-1})^{1/2}[/tex] can be expanded. For large positive [itex]x[/itex], [tex]f(x) = ix^{1/2}(1 - x^{-1})^{1/2}[/tex] can be expanded.

Likes deuteron

1. What is the Taylor Expansion for very small arguments?

The Taylor Expansion for very small arguments is a mathematical series that approximates a function using its derivatives at a specific point. It is used to estimate the value of a function at a nearby point where the function may not be easily evaluated.

2. How is the Taylor Expansion for very small arguments different from the regular Taylor Expansion?

The Taylor Expansion for very small arguments is a special case of the regular Taylor Expansion, where the argument is close to 0. It only considers the first few terms of the series, making it a more accurate approximation for small values compared to the regular Taylor Expansion, which considers all terms of the series.

3. Can the Taylor Expansion for very small arguments be used for functions with infinite derivatives?

Yes, the Taylor Expansion for very small arguments can be used for functions with infinite derivatives as long as the derivatives converge to 0 as the argument approaches 0. This is because the series only considers a finite number of terms, so it does not require the function to have a finite number of derivatives.

4. How is the Taylor Expansion for very small arguments useful in scientific research?

The Taylor Expansion for very small arguments is useful in scientific research as it allows for the approximation of complex functions, making them easier to work with and analyze. It is also used in physics and engineering to model physical systems and predict their behavior.

5. What are the limitations of using the Taylor Expansion for very small arguments?

The Taylor Expansion for very small arguments is only accurate for values close to the point of expansion. For larger arguments, the series may diverge and give incorrect results. It also assumes that the function is infinitely differentiable, which may not always be the case. Additionally, the accuracy of the approximation depends on the number of terms used in the series, so using too few terms may result in a less accurate approximation.