Teaching Calculus, exercises: just hints or worked out?

In summary, the conversation discussed different approaches to teaching calculus using Stewart's book. Some teachers prefer giving fully worked out answers while others prefer giving hints and the final answer. It was suggested to have a mix of both depending on the students' needs and the complexity of the problem.
haushofer
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Dear all,

I'm currently teaching calculus courses with Stewart's book. I was wondering what other teachers their experiences are with giving fully worked out answers to the exercises versus giving just hints and the final answer. I have the feeling that the last approach activates students more, and that the first approach makes students cling on to the worked out answers too much. What is your experience?

Science news on Phys.org
haushofer said:
Dear all,

I'm currently teaching calculus courses with Stewart's book. I was wondering what other teachers their experiences are with giving fully worked out answers to the exercises versus giving just hints and the final answer. I have the feeling that the last approach activates students more, and that the first approach makes students cling on to the worked out answers too much. What is your experience?

I've taught from Stewart, and I prefer a mix. Some students will need a fairly complete solution to lots of problems, but other students do better with only hints. Also, as a student progresses in mastery of a given section, they should be able to progress from needing more complete solutions to being able to solve problems with only hints.

I recommend getting a feel for where your students really are and adjusting the mix to best meet their needs. I try and include at least one more fully worked solution of each major problem type, and at least one case of only offering hints. The remaining balance depends on the need.

Likes spero14159 and PeroK
Thanks for your suggestion. I'll keep that in mind!

It depends on the problem too. There are some real doozies in Stewart.

1. What is the purpose of teaching calculus?

The purpose of teaching calculus is to provide students with a fundamental understanding of the concepts and techniques used in higher mathematics and sciences. It also helps students develop problem-solving skills and critical thinking abilities.

2. How should calculus exercises be approached?

Calculus exercises should be approached with a systematic and organized method. This includes understanding the problem, identifying relevant concepts and formulas, and carefully following each step to reach the correct solution.

3. Is it better to provide hints or worked out solutions for calculus exercises?

This can vary depending on the individual student's needs and learning style. Some students may benefit from hints as it allows them to work through the problem on their own, while others may prefer worked out solutions to understand the process better. It is recommended to provide a combination of both options.

4. How can students improve their calculus skills?

Practice is key to improving calculus skills. Students should also review concepts and formulas regularly, seek help from teachers or tutors when needed, and actively participate in class discussions and activities.

5. What are some common mistakes students make in calculus exercises?

Some common mistakes in calculus exercises include not understanding the problem correctly, not using the correct formulas or techniques, and making careless errors in calculations. It is important for students to carefully read and understand the problem and double-check their work for accuracy.