Self-Teaching Calc 1: Best Books for Trig & Algebra Refreshers | Geology Major

In summary, the conversation revolved around the topic of self-teaching calculus and finding the best resources for it. The participants recommended various books and online courses, such as "A first course in calculus" by Serge Lang and the 18.01SC Single Variable Calculus course on MIT Opencourseware. Some also suggested going through a precalc course or textbook before tackling calculus. However, others shared their own experiences of successfully learning calculus without taking precalc. Ultimately, the main goal was to prepare for a calculus course in the upcoming fall semester and achieve a good understanding of the subject.
Branflake
Hello everyone,
I am currently using khan academy to teach my self trig and refreshing my memory on some algebra things I have forgot since I haven't taken a math course in 3 years. (algebra 2 was the last course). I have almost finished all the practice on khan with trig and am now ready for calc.
I am still going to use khan for calc but I would really like to have a textbook to give more guidance and maybe some practice test. Does anyone know of any great self teach calc 1 books?
After some looking around iv noticed a lot of people recommend Spivak's book, but I want to make sure that this will be the best before I purchase it.
I am teaching myself calc before I actually take the course in the fall and I also need it for my Physics class. I am a geology major at a jc and will be transferring in two more semesters.
Thanks guys

Physics news on Phys.org
If I understand well, you have never done calc before?? In that case, I'm afraid that Spivak will likely be too difficult for you. So I wouldn't recommend it.
It's important to first get an intuitive idea of calculus before you see it entirely rigorous.

I would recommend the excellent "A first course in calculus" by Serge Lang for your situation. It's rigorous, but not too difficult.

micromass said:
If I understand well, you have never done calc before?? In that case, I'm afraid that Spivak will likely be too difficult for you. So I wouldn't recommend it.
It's important to first get an intuitive idea of calculus before you see it entirely rigorous.

I would recommend the excellent "A first course in calculus" by Serge Lang for your situation. It's rigorous, but not too difficult.

Yeah I have never taken a calc (or pre calc) class before.
The spivak book did look a little rough haha.
But basically I just want to go into my calc course in the fall and be able to under stand it and hopefully know some of the things before hand so I can do well. Honestly I just want to learn it to. I am very motivated right now.

Good afternoon,First of all: congratulations for the initiative of teach yourself Calculus! I am doing the same thing with Calculus II and have done with Calculus I too. It's very challenging! :-)

"Calculus", by Michael Spivak, is a great book - my personal favorite, in fact. It is a middle ground(*) between Calculus and Analysis. But there is also other few really great books. Here is an article that presents 4 - one of them is Spivak's book: http: //math-blog. com/ 2007/05/13/ the-most-enlightening-calculus-books/.

[]'s!

(*) - I am Brazilian and I don't know exactly if this in the English term I looking for. The Portuguese equivalent is "meio termo".

I realize you asked for a book but you might want to check out the 18.01SC Single Variable Calculus course on MIT Opencourseware. It's organized for self-study and has all the resources you'll need for a solid introduction to calculus.

I personally find web and video based courses easier to follow, although I guess you will get more out of a book if you actually go through most of the exercises.

beginnersbind said:
I realize you asked for a book but you might want to check out the 18.01SC Single Variable Calculus course on MIT Opencourseware. It's organized for self-study and has all the resources you'll need for a solid introduction to calculus.

I personally find web and video based courses easier to follow, although I guess you will get more out of a book if you actually go through most of the exercises.

Wow! I am looking at the course now and it looks awesome. I may not need a textbook now thank you so much.

micromass said:

The lang book is a great book. I love his linear algebra book as well.

However I have to disagree that this will be the right book for the OP. I disagree because the Lang book is great for an undergraduate. I think what the OP is looking for is something along the lines of a High School Calculus book. Something that has lots of examples, pictures, practice problems and chapter review materials.

Something like Calculus of a Single Variable by Larson.

Ok after doing some research and attempting the MIT open courseware class I feel that I need to go through a pre calc course (or textbook) in order to truly understand the class I am taking in the fall.
I understood some of the things in the first two sections, but I feel that I really need to teach myself more pre calc in order to truly understand what I am doing.
Basically what I am trying to do is set myself up for a easier understanding of my Calc 1 class which starts in the fall. I would really like an A in that class and I need to understand it very well for my major.
Algebra 2 was my last course in math (came before pre calc in my HS) so I need to work from there I think.
I am going to continue refreshing my math skills in khan until I can find a textbook (or online class) that can help me.
What do you guys think I should do. I'm starting to get worried that I won't be ready for the class in the fall.

I never took precalc, and I was fine with calculus, so I wouldn't worry too much. Algebra II was my last high school math class, and I tried teaching myself Calc I and failed. But when I took the class, it was fine. Unfortunately, I don't know of any good textbooks to suggest.

I like stewart's book for calculus 1 tbh. The examples are a lot better than the book I use in class (which sucks..) and the problems are excellent.

I taught myself Calc 1 and 2 so far. I highly recommend using Math Tutor DVD for any math, physics, chemistry. It really helps a lot. You can buy it off the site or obtain it by other means. lol I am not a sales person for the record.

Math Tutor DVD is good, but his calc 1 program is a bit incomplete. Admittedly, I'm only half-way through it, but he barely even mentions limits. I'd still recommend it as a resource though.

What is Calc 1?

Calc 1, short for Calculus 1, is a foundational course in mathematics that introduces students to the concepts of limits, derivatives, and integrals. It is typically taken by students in their first or second year of college, and is a required course for many science and engineering majors.

Why is self-teaching Calc 1 beneficial?

Self-teaching Calc 1 can be beneficial for a variety of reasons. It allows for a flexible learning schedule, can be more cost-effective than traditional classroom instruction, and allows for a personalized learning experience. Additionally, self-teaching can improve critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

What are the best books for trigonometry and algebra refreshers?

Some popular books for trigonometry and algebra refreshers include "Trigonometry for Dummies" by Mary Jane Sterling, "Algebra Essentials Practice Workbook with Answers" by Chris McMullen, and "Precalculus: Mathematics for Calculus" by James Stewart.

How can a geology major benefit from learning Calc 1?

Calc 1 is a useful course for geology majors as it introduces them to mathematical concepts that are often used in the field, such as rates of change, slope, and optimization. It also provides a strong foundation for more advanced courses in geology and other sciences.

What are some tips for successfully self-teaching Calc 1?

Some tips for successfully self-teaching Calc 1 include setting a schedule and sticking to it, seeking out additional resources such as online tutorials or study groups, practicing regularly, and seeking help from a tutor or instructor if needed. It can also be helpful to break up the material into smaller, manageable chunks and review previous material regularly.