Will an algebra and trig texbook be sufficient preparation for calc?

In summary, an algebra and trig textbook can be a sufficient preparation for calculus, as long as it covers topics such as functions, graphing, algebraic operations, and trigonometric functions. Prior knowledge of calculus is not necessary, as the textbook is designed to introduce and teach fundamental concepts. It is recommended to have both an algebra and trig textbook, but it is possible for one to suffice if it covers all the necessary topics. To supplement your learning, you can practice problems and look for additional resources. It is also possible to use an algebra and trig textbook from a different publisher, as long as it aligns with the necessary topics and level of difficulty.
mjbarr
I took Algebra I, II, and precalculus in high school, but I graduated high school some time ago and would like to prepare for calculus before I go back to school. My question is if a textbook that covers both Algebra and Trigonometry will sufficiently prepare me for calculus (I plan on taking all 3 calc courses offered + linear algebra).

Example:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0321998596/?tag=pfamazon01-20

(Algebra and Trigonometry, 10th Edition by Sullivan)

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe. The bare minimum is to review Intermediate Algebra and a course-worth of Trigonometry, from good textbooks of your choice.

1. Is it necessary to have a strong foundation in algebra and trigonometry before starting calculus?

Yes, a strong understanding of algebra and trigonometry is essential for success in calculus. Many of the concepts and techniques used in calculus build upon those learned in algebra and trigonometry.

2. Can I skip algebra and trigonometry and go straight to calculus?

No, it is not recommended to skip algebra and trigonometry and go straight to calculus. Without a solid foundation in these subjects, it will be difficult to understand and apply the concepts in calculus.

3. How can I tell if I am ready to move on to calculus from algebra and trigonometry?

If you have a strong understanding of algebraic and trigonometric concepts, such as functions, equations, and trigonometric identities, then you are likely ready to move on to calculus. It is also important to have a good grasp of algebraic and trigonometric manipulation skills.

4. Can I use an algebra and trigonometry textbook from a different publisher for calculus preparation?

Yes, as long as the textbook covers the necessary algebra and trigonometry topics, it can be used for calculus preparation. However, it is recommended to use a textbook specifically designed for calculus preparation.

5. How much time should I spend studying algebra and trigonometry before starting calculus?

The amount of time needed to prepare for calculus will vary for each individual. It is important to have a strong understanding of algebra and trigonometry concepts before starting calculus, so take as much time as you need to feel confident in your knowledge and skills.