Teaching myself introductory physics

In summary, the speaker is looking for help in teaching themselves introductory physics from a specific textbook. They are asking for recommendations for websites that provide answers and explanations for the book's problems. They are also questioning the value of just being provided with the answer instead of learning the method to solve the problem. They are advised to post their questions on the physics subforum where they can receive help from the PF community.
zoner7
I actually just posted this in the physics subforum but realized that it is much more appropriate here.

So I've got a good deal of the summer in front of me, and I've realized that I've wasted all of my time doing nothing. As a result, I've decided to do something productive and teach myself introductory physics using the extended third edition of Physics for Engineers and Scientists.

Since I would like to attain a sound grasp of the material, I will attempt to solve the most challenging of the book's problems. I would like to know where I can find help when I will inevitably need it. Is there a site with answers and the work required to reach them? I looked on Cramster.com but discovered that the book isn't supported. I realize that I can post questions here, but I also realize that I won't receive answers immediately. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome, you will often get answers much faster than you might imagine.

I would think that posting here would suffice. Most problems posted in the introductory physics subforum are solved within an hour I would guess, and the PF community provides much more insight than any solutions manual.

And why do you want the answer anyway? PF users provide you the method to solve the problem, without telling you the answer, which is much more important.

What good are the methods if I never know if I am executing them properly?

1. What are the best resources for teaching myself introductory physics?

There are many resources available for teaching yourself introductory physics. Some popular options include textbooks, online courses, video lectures, and practice problems. It's important to find a resource that works best for your learning style and to supplement your learning with additional resources if needed.

2. How much math is required for understanding introductory physics?

A strong foundation in algebra and trigonometry is necessary for understanding introductory physics. Some concepts may also require knowledge of calculus. It's important to have a solid understanding of these mathematical concepts in order to fully grasp the principles of physics.

3. How can I stay motivated while teaching myself introductory physics?

One way to stay motivated is to set specific goals for yourself and track your progress. You can also find a study partner or join a study group to keep yourself accountable and motivated. Additionally, taking breaks and engaging in other activities can help prevent burnout and keep you motivated to continue learning.

4. What are some common misconceptions about introductory physics?

Some common misconceptions about introductory physics include the idea that it is only relevant for those pursuing a career in science, or that it is too difficult for individuals without a strong math background. In reality, physics concepts can be applied to many areas of life and with dedication and practice, anyone can develop an understanding of introductory physics.

5. How can I apply what I've learned in introductory physics to real-world situations?

There are countless applications of introductory physics in the real world, from understanding how objects move and interact to explaining natural phenomena. By practicing problem-solving and critical thinking skills, you can learn to apply the principles of introductory physics to a variety of situations, from everyday life to more complex scientific problems.