Team discovers a first-of-its-kind material for the quantum age (1 Viewer)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Quantum materials could open up so many possibilities in our life time. Can you imagine what this could mean in space travel? I will be watching this discovery for sure.

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
2018 Award
Quantum materials could open up so many possibilities in our life time. Can you imagine what this could mean in space travel? I will be watching this discovery for sure.
Did you even read the actual paper? What does this have anything to do with space travel?

Zz.

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
Gold Member
Did you even read the actual paper? What does this have anything to do with space travel?

Zz.
I could find nothing concrete in that article. What's it all about - or is it just journalist hype?

f95toli

Science Advisor
Gold Member
They have found a new type of topological insulator. It is interesting but right now it has zero relevance for e.g. quantum computing..
Note that the type of topological quantum computing that e.g. Microsoft (StationQ) is pursuing is not actually based on topological insulators (they are trying to use Majornas, but that this is a different story). The word "topology" has different implications in different contexts.

Topological insulators do -potentially- have some interesting applications (they have really weird transport properties) but the fact that they are "quantum materials" does not meant that the applications need to be "quantum".
So, yes, the article is just hype.

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
Gold Member
That's a relief. I always suspect that I must just be ignorant when I read an article and it means nothing to me. Do you have some pole-level source of proper information about this?

Zz.
I am just talking about what I read and found it really interesting. Sorry if I offended anyone

They have found a new type of topological insulator. It is interesting but right now it has zero relevance for e.g. quantum computing..
Note that the type of topological quantum computing that e.g. Microsoft (StationQ) is pursuing is not actually based on topological insulators (they are trying to use Majornas, but that this is a different story). The word "topology" has different implications in different contexts.

Topological insulators do -potentially- have some interesting applications (they have really weird transport properties) but the fact that they are "quantum materials" does not meant that the applications need to be "quantum".

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
2018 Award
I am just talking about what I read and found it really interesting. Sorry if I offended anyone
Finding it "really interesting" and making wild and illogical connection to "space travel" are two different things. This is a science forum, and there has to be a clear "cause and effect" if you want to make such a connection, unlike other types of discussion.

Zz.

I am new at this, it is good to know you are on top of what is actual and what is just a hype. Thank you for clarifying this.
I am still learning.

The Physics Forums Way

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving