Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Team discovers a first-of-its-kind material for the quantum age

1. Aug 2, 2018 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 2, 2018 #2
    Quantum materials could open up so many possibilities in our life time. Can you imagine what this could mean in space travel? I will be watching this discovery for sure.

4. Aug 2, 2018 #3

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Did you even read the actual paper? What does this have anything to do with space travel?

Zz.

5. Aug 3, 2018 #4

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

I could find nothing concrete in that article. What's it all about - or is it just journalist hype?

6. Aug 3, 2018 #5

f95toli

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

They have found a new type of topological insulator. It is interesting but right now it has zero relevance for e.g. quantum computing..
    Note that the type of topological quantum computing that e.g. Microsoft (StationQ) is pursuing is not actually based on topological insulators (they are trying to use Majornas, but that this is a different story). The word "topology" has different implications in different contexts.

Topological insulators do -potentially- have some interesting applications (they have really weird transport properties) but the fact that they are "quantum materials" does not meant that the applications need to be "quantum".
    So, yes, the article is just hype.

7. Aug 3, 2018 #6

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

That's a relief. I always suspect that I must just be ignorant when I read an article and it means nothing to me. Do you have some pole-level source of proper information about this?

8. Aug 15, 2018 #7
    I am just talking about what I read and found it really interesting. Sorry if I offended anyone

9. Aug 15, 2018 #8

10. Aug 15, 2018 #9

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Finding it "really interesting" and making wild and illogical connection to "space travel" are two different things. This is a science forum, and there has to be a clear "cause and effect" if you want to make such a connection, unlike other types of discussion.

Zz.

11. Aug 15, 2018 #10
    I am new at this, it is good to know you are on top of what is actual and what is just a hype. Thank you for clarifying this.
    I am still learning.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted