Team discovers a first-of-its-kind material for the quantum age

In summary: Thank you for being so patient.Finding it "really interesting" and making wild and illogical connection to "space travel" are two different things. This is a science forum, and there has to be a clear "cause and effect" if you want to make such a connection, unlike other types of discussion.
Nelli
Physics news on Phys.org
Quantum materials could open up so many possibilities in our life time. Can you imagine what this could mean in space travel? I will be watching this discovery for sure.

Nelli said:
Quantum materials could open up so many possibilities in our life time. Can you imagine what this could mean in space travel? I will be watching this discovery for sure.

Did you even read the actual paper? What does this have anything to do with space travel?

Zz.

Likes russ_watters, sophiecentaur and Dale
ZapperZ said:
Did you even read the actual paper? What does this have anything to do with space travel?

Zz.
I could find nothing concrete in that article. What's it all about - or is it just journalist hype?

Likes nasu
They have found a new type of topological insulator. It is interesting but right now it has zero relevance for e.g. quantum computing..
Note that the type of topological quantum computing that e.g. Microsoft (StationQ) is pursuing is not actually based on topological insulators (they are trying to use Majornas, but that this is a different story). The word "topology" has different implications in different contexts.

Topological insulators do -potentially- have some interesting applications (they have really weird transport properties) but the fact that they are "quantum materials" does not meant that the applications need to be "quantum".
So, yes, the article is just hype.

Likes Nelli
f95toli said:
That's a relief. I always suspect that I must just be ignorant when I read an article and it means nothing to me. Do you have some pole-level source of proper information about this?

ZapperZ said:

Zz.
I am just talking about what I read and found it really interesting. Sorry if I offended anyone

f95toli said:
They have found a new type of topological insulator. It is interesting but right now it has zero relevance for e.g. quantum computing..
Note that the type of topological quantum computing that e.g. Microsoft (StationQ) is pursuing is not actually based on topological insulators (they are trying to use Majornas, but that this is a different story). The word "topology" has different implications in different contexts.

Topological insulators do -potentially- have some interesting applications (they have really weird transport properties) but the fact that they are "quantum materials" does not meant that the applications need to be "quantum".

Nelli said:
I am just talking about what I read and found it really interesting. Sorry if I offended anyone

Finding it "really interesting" and making wild and illogical connection to "space travel" are two different things. This is a science forum, and there has to be a clear "cause and effect" if you want to make such a connection, unlike other types of discussion.

Zz.

I am new at this, it is good to know you are on top of what is actual and what is just a hype. Thank you for clarifying this.
I am still learning.

Likes berkeman

1. What is the significance of this discovery?

This discovery is significant because it is the first material that has been specifically designed for use in quantum technology. It has the potential to revolutionize fields such as computing, communication, and sensing.

2. How does this material differ from others currently used in quantum technology?

This material is unique because it can control and manipulate individual quantum particles, known as qubits, with precision and accuracy. Other materials used in quantum technology are not able to do this.

3. What potential applications does this material have?

This material has a wide range of potential applications. It could be used in quantum computers, which have the potential to solve complex problems much faster than traditional computers. It could also be used in quantum sensors, which could have applications in fields such as medicine, navigation, and security.

4. How was this material discovered?

This material was discovered through a combination of theoretical calculations and experimental testing. Researchers used computer simulations to design the material and then tested it in a laboratory setting to confirm its properties.

5. What are the next steps for this discovery?

The next steps for this discovery are to further study and refine the material, as well as explore its potential applications. Researchers will also continue to collaborate and share their findings with the scientific community to advance the development of quantum technology.