• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Technical Courses in EE - Your Experiences?

• Courses
  • Thread starter DefaultName
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Hi, I'll be a senior EE this upcoming fall and was curious to see what kind of experiences you've had with the following courses:

Analog Circuit Design
Digital Communications Systems
Cryptography & Information Security
Probabilistic Systems Analysis
Electro-Optics and Lasers
Topics in Multiple User Information Theory
Adaptive Signal Processing​
These are all 400-level courses.

The ones that interest me are in italics. Any experiences with them? Does it matter which class I take --- as far as employability goes? I'm sure taking a class in the field in which your employer works in is helpful, but does it hurt if I take an Electro-Optics class if I don't plan on joining a company that does things with optics?

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

The ones that interest me are in italics. Any experiences with them? Does it matter which class I take --- as far as employability goes? I'm sure taking a class in the field in which your employer works in is helpful, but does it hurt if I take an Electro-Optics class if I don't plan on joining a company that does things with optics?
I will answer this generally, as I am not very familiar with EE. Extra knowledge is always a good thing. You never know when knowledge will come in handy. Some courses may sound specific, but actually provide fundamentals that can be applied to other areas. i.e. I took a fuel cells course and ended up learning about mass/charge transfer, reaction kinetics, electrochemistry, and physical modeling.

So, if that course really interests you, take it. However, don't let this course replace a crucial elective for your concentration

I am now taking a random process class right now and am enjoying it very much....However, it is REALLY hard. Lots of very hard math. Any of the other classes would probably be easier.