1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Courses Technical Courses in EE - Your Experiences?

1. Mar 22, 2008 #1
    Hi, I'll be a senior EE this upcoming fall and was curious to see what kind of experiences you've had with the following courses:

Analog Circuit Design
    Digital Communications Systems
    Cryptography & Information Security
    Probabilistic Systems Analysis
    Electro-Optics and Lasers
    Topics in Multiple User Information Theory
    Adaptive Signal Processing​
    These are all 400-level courses.

The ones that interest me are in italics. Any experiences with them? Does it matter which class I take --- as far as employability goes? I'm sure taking a class in the field in which your employer works in is helpful, but does it hurt if I take an Electro-Optics class if I don't plan on joining a company that does things with optics?

Last edited: Mar 22, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 22, 2008 #2
    I will answer this generally, as I am not very familiar with EE. Extra knowledge is always a good thing. You never know when knowledge will come in handy. Some courses may sound specific, but actually provide fundamentals that can be applied to other areas. i.e. I took a fuel cells course and ended up learning about mass/charge transfer, reaction kinetics, electrochemistry, and physical modeling.

So, if that course really interests you, take it. However, don't let this course replace a crucial elective for your concentration

4. Mar 22, 2008 #3
    I am now taking a random process class right now and am enjoying it very much....However, it is REALLY hard. Lots of very hard math. Any of the other classes would probably be easier.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?