Tell me (EE major) some reasons to take more physics classes

In summary, the conversation discusses the possible uses of higher division physics courses for an EE major. The speaker is considering taking several upper division physics courses, including analytic mechanics, optical physics, EM, thermodynamics, mechanics of wave motion and sound, quantum mechanics, nuclear physics, general relativity, and mathematical methods of physics. They are interested in these courses for both personal enjoyment and potential usefulness in their future career, whether in research or industry. The speaker also mentions the relevance of EM and wave mechanics in their EE work and the benefits of having a background in quantum mechanics for understanding electronic devices.
RubinLicht
My situation: I am an EE major, first year, 6 quarters ahead in math (meaning i have 6 "extra" slots for electives). I will probably take many CS courses, or maybe switch into a combined CS and EE major (like ECE or CSE), partially due to interest and necessity of coding skills nowadays. I also strongly enjoy physics, so I would take it for the fun of it, but that's a luxury I can't indulge in due to the cost of higher education.

Enlighten me as to all the possible uses of higher div physics for an EE major. I do not know if I will go into research or industry, assume both are possibilities.

The upper div courses I'm looking at are: analytic mechanics, optical physics, higher div EM, thermodynamics, mechanics of wave motion and sound, quantum mechanics (three classes), nuclear physics, elementary particle physics, general relativity(clearly not applicable to EE but I'm interested and it's only one class if I meet the prerequisites), mathematical methods of physics properties of solids (semiconductors, metals, and superconductors), elementary particle physics.

Once I finish the coursework due inthe next week I will be doing some additional research on my own. I really want a good productive excuse to take these physics classes xD

Thank you so much and looking forward to the responses.

Physics news on Phys.org
RubinLicht said:
higher div EM
I have found my upper-division EM classes very useful in my EE work, since I work with antennas and EMC qualification quite a bit. Also very helpful in understanding high-speed circuit design and layout.
RubinLicht said:
mechanics of wave motion and sound
Good background -- wave mechanics show up all over the place in EE work.
RubinLicht said:
quantum mechanics
I'm glad I had intro QM classes in undergrad -- they helped make me more comfortable dealing with electronics devices that are based on or involve QM effects. :smile:

Likes CalcNerd

What are the benefits of taking more physics classes as an EE major?

1. Improved problem-solving skills: Physics teaches you how to approach and solve complex problems, which is a crucial skill in the field of electrical engineering.

2. Deeper understanding of electrical concepts: Many concepts in electrical engineering are rooted in physics, so taking more physics classes can help you understand these concepts on a deeper level.

3. Preparation for advanced courses: If you plan on pursuing a graduate degree in electrical engineering, taking more physics classes can prepare you for the advanced courses and research that you will encounter.

4. Versatility in job opportunities: Physics is a highly versatile field, and having a strong foundation in it can open up job opportunities in various industries, including technology, research, and even finance.

5. Personal growth and intellectual challenge: Studying physics can be a rewarding and intellectually stimulating experience, allowing you to expand your knowledge and critical thinking skills beyond the field of electrical engineering.