Tell me (EE major) some reasons to take more physics classes

• Programs
  • Thread starter RubinLicht
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

My situation: I am an EE major, first year, 6 quarters ahead in math (meaning i have 6 "extra" slots for electives). I will probably take many CS courses, or maybe switch into a combined CS and EE major (like ECE or CSE), partially due to interest and necessity of coding skills nowadays. I also strongly enjoy physics, so I would take it for the fun of it, but that's a luxury I can't indulge in due to the cost of higher education.

Enlighten me as to all the possible uses of higher div physics for an EE major. I do not know if I will go into research or industry, assume both are possibilities.

The upper div courses I'm looking at are: analytic mechanics, optical physics, higher div EM, thermodynamics, mechanics of wave motion and sound, quantum mechanics (three classes), nuclear physics, elementary particle physics, general relativity(clearly not applicable to EE but I'm interested and it's only one class if I meet the prerequisites), mathematical methods of physics properties of solids (semiconductors, metals, and superconductors), elementary particle physics.

Once I finish the coursework due inthe next week I will be doing some additional research on my own. I really want a good productive excuse to take these physics classes xD

Thank you so much and looking forward to the responses.

Answers and Replies

berkeman
Mentor
higher div EM
I have found my upper-division EM classes very useful in my EE work, since I work with antennas and EMC qualification quite a bit. Also very helpful in understanding high-speed circuit design and layout.
mechanics of wave motion and sound
Good background -- wave mechanics show up all over the place in EE work.
quantum mechanics
I'm glad I had intro QM classes in undergrad -- they helped make me more comfortable dealing with electronics devices that are based on or involve QM effects. :smile:

Likes CalcNerd