1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

EE & CS dual major or one BS and a MS. Long but detailed

1. Apr 17, 2015 #1
    Im debating between two options.

Background:

I started out as ME and then transferred early to EE. Currently I'm 1/3 of the way to an EE bachelor and a few CS classes deep. First I was thinking of doing a CS minor with my EE major (5 years), but then I realized that with an extra year of school I could get CS as a second major on top of my EE major. The dual major route would take 6 years, and I'm currently finishing my third year.

After talking to my proffersors, I realized theres also an option to do one of those majors and get a masters in the other.

What im looking for once i graduate

I really like CS programming and doing the classwork, its time consuming and can be frustrating but its very rewarding and empowering. EE class material is kind of boring and stale, a lot of theory and little apparent application.

I would go for a CS major on its own but I don't wan't to be stuck programming all the time. I like engineering, especially automating things. When i say automating i mean creating the electronics and then programming them. I use the Arduino a lot. I do however want to know advanced CS so i have the fundamentals to program websites, apps, and other slightly complex software.

So ultimately when i graduate I would like do to Automation related things. I want to create the physical equipment (circuitry) and program it. I want a little hands on.

Question

So what do you guys think is the best school route for me?

• EE major with CS minor and CS or maybe Automation master if that exists? (5+2 years)

• CS major with an EE minor and EE/Automation master? (5+2 years)

• EE and CS double major and no masters (6 years)

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2015 #2
    By the way I'm also into mechanical stuff too, I like cars a lot. With the Arduino I did some things like auto headlights and winshield washers for my car using light and water sensors.

In general I just love problem solving and making cool automated things that do stuff for you that you normally would have to do. The next project I'm thinking of is an automated house. The cellphone app integration is still a little out of my programming skills. But I can start working on stuff like integrating motors into the blinds to make then go up by myself, the wifi communication. This is a big project, so I'm just starting to wrap my head around it and creating a plan to tackle it one piece at a time.

4. Apr 17, 2015 #3
    You don't need to learn any computer science to do that.

Computer engineering. It's half electrical engineering and half computer science. It seems like a perfect match for what you've described. If it's microcontrollers and embedded systems that interest you most, look into the computer engineering program.

5. Apr 18, 2015 #4
    Jaeusm, thanks for the reply, good point. I'm going to look into CSE.

6. Apr 18, 2015 #5

RaulTheUCSCSlug

Gold Member

Well you should be working with stuff like Arduino and Raspberry Pi's right now on your own outside of the classroom and see if you really like it, or perhaps join (or start) a club that does that kind of stuff. It will also build your resume as you will have real life application in what you want to do. Here at my school, we have a robotics degree. Which is basically EE, with CS sprinkled in. But really look at how long you want to be in school, and meet up with your major adviser if you can.

You do not have to specifically get a minor/major in something that interests you. Just like in Physics, some choose to major in pure physics, but also take mathematics courses that are "unnecessary" to get a more in-depth field of knowledge.

If you are set in doing one of the three things you have listed, I would choose the EE major with CS minor. Then try to get accepted to the masters program in your school, and maybe drop the minor if you get accepted, so that you may take some graduate courses while still being an "undergrad" so to speak.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook